NY Offering the Enhanced Drivers License 9/16/08

The Passport alternative for Canada / Mexico / Caribbean

well worth the extra 30

And I just paid like 160 for a passport FUCK

INB4SOMEHACKERSTEALSMYIDENTITYFROMTHEMICROCHIP

true.

but, I’ll be sure to carry around my paper license and leave the RFID at home unless I plan on crossing the borders.

inb4 they can track you via chip.

FUCK I wish they had this in California.

So how does this keep the border secure exactly? If a license wasn’t good enough because “anyone” good get them and the border required more Citizenship proof, so is the expectation that terrorists won’t be able to afford the extra $50 to get the “ultra mega license 3000 w/ julienne fry attachment”? If the requirements for a license are the same for the standard and the ultra mega version w/ free border pass, then isn’t that just opening the same hole all over again?

Or am I missing something?

Totally getting this tomorrow. I’ve been holding off on getting a passport…

Every American citizen should have a passport.

dude, it has a computer chip… I mean C’MON!!!

Then they should be handed out at birth…

you’re not missing anything. It is the same requirements. :roll:

What about american citizens who’ve recently lost one? We have no intl trips planned for at least two years, so this convenience is a nice option.

yeah, maybe in a pinch, but i still always want to have a passport…

Just incase the goverment catches up with the illegal activities, you can hop on a plane to anywhere? :slight_smile:

Good thinking.

Ditto!

Did you miss a memo or something?

Sweet. Need to go to the DMV this week for my car registration. Will grab one of these too.

Actually we were supposed to be the guinny pigs for the program, but it never happened. I did read an email or something about getting one for free, but i’m soooooo (lol) busy at work i never got around to it. That and the whole already having a passport thing

i’m so glad i got my passport in '05