Erie County Pistol permit - opinions needed

Personal protection. Only reason that needs to be put.

Do not mention anything about work, Your not a Co or Police officer. If you feel unsafe with your current job, find a new one. They will figure your going to carry on the job becuase you mentioned it.

That would be my suggestion.

Do you have a full carry or hunting and target permit? I don’t see how this reason would get you any more than a hunting/ target permit.

Move to florida… it took me 10 days to get mine. I can carry in 37 states now. stupid ny. (I do wish i applied when i lived there though)q

I dont see your logic behind that. How is a deranged patient any different than someone trying to steal your money? One wants your money, one wants you bleeding.

This is not helpful. Tell the hundreds of other people who put “personal protection” and got denied that this should be put. Also, I wouldn’t carry on the job because it is against company policy (and I value my employment). Its not illegal for me to carry on the job, so this is not grounds to deny my application. If everyone that ever felt unsafe at their job in EMS, you wouldn’t have an ambulance service in buffalo. I can tell many stories of times I legitimately thought there was a chance that I would be shot (city grill anyone? Scariest shit of my life).

I dont disagree on the logic. You arent hunting or target shooting when hiking in remote areas, so technically if you were to conceal carry you would be in violation of your restriction. You can make the case that you dont have cell reception and are in remote areas where you could be attacked by humans or even animals.

Thanks for the help. Ill keep that in mind.

I though every EMS had the policy of not being able to enter any violent crime scene before the police arrived?

Police were there. Doesnt mean you’re not going to get shot. I’ve had a patient pull a gun on an officer during a run of the mill call. You never know. This is off topic though and irrelevant because I wont carry while on duty.

You can get a non-resident permit here too, so you dont need to move here. But you’d still need to get a permit in NY.

It’s already been stated that just asking for personal protection will not work in Erie County. It’s to easy to say that people could be out to get you in any line of work, I just don’t see it flying, but if it’s all you have then go for it.

I dont disagree on the logic. You arent hunting or target shooting when hiking in remote areas, so technically if you were to conceal carry you would be in violation of your restriction. You can make the case that you dont have cell reception and are in remote areas where you could be attacked by humans or even animals.

Yeah I agree you wouldn’t be target shooting or hunting, I’m just surprised that one would be allowed to full carry everywhere, when the use of the gun would mainly be in the field/woods. Also, I can have my gun on my hip anytime I am in the field or the woods with my hunting/target permit.

Again, if you are asking for a concealed carry and it’s not for personal protection, then what reason do you give for your request?

Stopping terrorists

I’m surprised nobody played that card yet lol

In a perfect world…

Just thought I would throw this in here rather than start a new thread… HR822 passes house.

I realize the bill means if you can carry and conceal in one state you will be able to in all others…

Does this do anything with speeding up the process in Erie county?

Nope. Each state still gets to set their requirements, and as a state resident you won’t be allowed to go to an “easy” state and get a permit there for your home state. Not to mention I can’t see this passing while Obama is in office.

I’m conflicted with the national reciprocity… on one hand it’d be awesome to be legal to carry in nearly all states. That being said, it gives wayyy too much power back to the national level which could be dangerous to our rights. (atleast now, i can pick up and move if something happened and florida decided to not be a “shall issue” state.

^ It’s not a national license though. It’s still the same state license you’ve always had, it just forces other states to honor it. Same thing as a driver’s license. NY may have different requirements to get a driver’s license than Vermont, but Vermont still allows you to drive through their state with a NY license.

Quite honestly if you think about it, it’s putting things back to the way they used to be.

Sure… but now I’d be able to carry in NY… which would be awesome…

as a good friend responded to me a week ago on this topic … "it’s a little complicated. On the one hand, the right to bear a firearm isn’t a right that the states have any business involving itself in, such as imposing restrictions. It’s Constitutionally protected by the second amendment. But being able to carry it concealed is another question entirely, and the SCOTUS has long upheld a state’s right to regulate concealment of a handgun. One can argue that mandatory reciprocity of CC permits infringes on States’ Rights, which to me, as a conservative and a strict Constitutional constructionist/originalist, I’m not willing to grant the Federal government that much power. Why? Generally, I’m against almost everything the distant, corrupt Congress want to impose on States. Most government power should be returned to the states where they belong. It the states enact bad laws, we vote with our feet. We move if it becomes unbearable. This power keeps the elected in check. If every law is a federal law, we can’t escape it. This is what the framers of the Constitution argued over for two years. How to get the balance right between Federalism vs State’s Rights. I’m generally a states rights guy. "

when put that way, I can see his POV as well. I tend to agree.

My Dad and I talked about getting pistol permits for hunting, he lives in Allegany (sp?) county and I’m in Erie. Would my erie county permit let me take the gun to other counties for hunting? I would never hunt in erie, but I would do 90% in Allegany and 10% in Livingston county.