ever have your licence suspended for not paying a fine?

So I got pulled over back in December by a trooper for speeding. He basically told me that if I planned on pleading guilty, just send it to “x” address in Albany with guilty marked on the ticket, yada yada yada.

I did exactly that and waited for a reply with a fine to pay. Well, I got my ticket sent back to me a few weeks ago attached to a letter stating that I didn’t include payment with the ticket, and it was due asap. Being that I was still catching up from xmas and all that bullshit, I wasn’t able to pay it until this week. However, earlier this week I received another letter from the DMV stating that the fine wasn’t payed and my license “could” be suspended from failure to pay and that I had by the 20th of this month to pay it in full. Furthermore If it wasn’t payed by the 15th of March then I’d have all these extra fines and charges tacked on top of it along with a suspended license. (yeah, I don’t really understand that either… which one is it? It’d be nice if they actually told you, instead of “could” garbage)

I sent the payment out this afternoon, but I’m worried that my license is going to get suspended. Who could I contact about something like this? I doubt the local DMV would be able to help me out and there is no phone number on either of the letters, only addresses.

do you think it’s a just a “scare” tactic to get you to pay as soon as possible? Or should I be worried?

has anyone else gone through something like this? When I was around 19 years old, I got arrested in Hamburg for “not paying a fine” and driving on a suspended license (was the courts fault for not reporting it paid and eventually got thrown out) and don’t want to deal with that BS again.

I didn’t pay a fine for a no inspection ticket - then got the letter. My license was suspended as promised on that day, and as luck would have it, I was pulled over on that day. Go pay it asap.

you don’t have to send it out. you can pay it at the town court where you got the ticket.

i get about 6 of these a year… there are 3 on my desk right now.

they WILL take your license, and hit you with fees to get it back. But it says you have till March 15th till it gets suspended, so I think you will be alright.

i had my liscense suspended a bunch of times for non paymeny of tickets. as long as you sent the payment in you will be fine. you may want to call the dmv in a couple of days to make sure that it is in fact not suspended, and call whereever you ahd to send the ticket to to make sure they received payment. if it does get suspended and payment was made, make sure you get a reciept of the payment and carry that with you and also bring that to the dmv to prove that the ticket was paid.

however, i don’t know why in the hell you plead guilty to a speeding ticket unless it was in the city.

that shit will fuck you long term, man…

NEVER EVER EVER EVER plead guilty to speeding unless it’s in the city.

Even if it’s in albany… drive back or send a lawyer.

each speeding violation you are convicted of WILL raise your ins. premiums. I have only 2 speeding convictions on my record and according to a geico rep, it’s costing me 500 a year, for 3 years.

thats the truth right there

Twice actually. Pay it of before whatever the time-rame says on the notice and it never actually gets suspended.

ok, thanks guys :tup: I appreciate it

tell me about it… I learned that the hard way already (I’m lazy and hate court).

This ticket was in the city though. The cop told me if I didn’t want to waste my time, to just plead guilty

I had it happen to me once and i payed it by the date that they told me i had to, then i got another letter from a town that I had never been in saying that I plead guilty to a speeding ticket that i never recieved… Turns out someone had MY ID (probably using as a fake) and that even so I was still responsible for the ticket. I ended up having to pay the fine, the “suspension lift fee” and some other stupid court fee. Quite BS if you ask me… Then my sister in law was dating a guy who I found out was the jackass that had my license, and he had enough points to risk giving the cop a fake id and telling him it was a friends car so that he wouldn’t lose his license. He still won’t tell me how he got my ID.

Seriously, it’s not too late to change this. Call the town where you got the ticket and ask them to schedule a court date before it gets suspended, they should be able to.

Either way, if it get’s reduced or you simply (and foolhardily) pay it, they will sign and stamp the bottom portion. You need to then carry this around with you at all times, because the DMV will still suspend your license, and you need to show this slip of paper if you are pulled over. It takes a LONG time for the DMV to un-suspend, too. I’ve had to produce this slip of paper up to 8 months later!

Really, 8 months! It is a good thing that I never got pulled over because i just threw that paper on my desk and never touched it until it hit the garbage

How would I prove that I paid it? I already sent the money order out this afternoon

and like the asshole that I am, I totally missed the part where I could pay it online. fuck

i have one of those in my glove box the court bhas to put there seal on it but not to worry if you payed it you will be fine. i wait to the last minuter to pay all my fines just to be an asshole. where is the ticket. you probably still can request a trial ou dont want the points. it really fucks you over when your searching for insurance. i had 6 points 3 years ago and it still effected my insurance

this goes back to make sure you get a receipt from the issuing town that you paid the ticket

i always paid at the town where i got the ticket.

Example. in March 05 i plead guilty to a speeding violation the DAY my license was going to be suspended, because i thought this was easier than trying to get a court date, paying the 35 dollar scoflaw fee etc etc. so i took the points (6) and went on my way.

This was just after the new DRA (driver responsibility assessment) was enacted and right off the bat the 6 points cost me 300, billed to the DMV. Then insurance surcharges set in costing me another X dollars per year. And i am STILL paying for it (until march of this year!)

Fuck.

Damn man, thats a shit load of speeding.

not for speeding:
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45399

i have them for all sorts. seriously i never attend my first court date or pay the first day. i just like to drag shit out. the driver assestment fee is bull shit

yes, yes it is :tdown: they already got my 300.00 and I assume this will add some additional fees to it