Eviction lawyers?

jesus guys, easy on the racism. dont care if they are jokes.

I have been racking my brain on this since I started reading this. Since you don’t have a formal lease agreement with this squatter, exactly how do you go about evicting based on non-paid rent? That seems like an obvious “Well, people can’t just live in empty homes… that’s obvious” but, it seems that they can?

I love #8, recording for damages. Protect yourself at the time of removal = brilliant. Of course, getting them to pay for back rent or damages is another issue all together, isn’t it?

Read that. It’s pretty straight forward with a lease agreement, but what happens with their side of the story in court? It’ll be “He said, She said” won’t it?

Do you have anything in writing for the doors you put on to help them? Do you have that $550 offer in writing?

EDIT: Reading a ton on Google, I keep reading “renters don’t have many rights in a foreclosure situation” meaning that state-by-state, you can evict them in the first 30 days if you want. “As a renter in this situation, as soon as you find out that your home is in foreclosure, you should A) look into buying it at auction for cheap B) start looking for somewhere else to live”

It appears that these people are idiots. This isn’t going to be a good situation for them once it hits the court and those Sheriffs show up.

I hope you have a team of friends with cameras and video cameras for when they are put to the curb.

Double Edit: You mentioned “their stuff needs to be put into storage for 30 days” is that a NYS thing?

State to state the laws are different. This: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32575/landlordtenant_law_and_evictions_in_pg2.html?cat=17 pretty much sums it up
She apparently has rights, as a squatter, as far as I have heard. Therefore, I have to go through the process of eviction.
I wrote up a contract, signed it, gave it to her. She was willing to pay the rent at first, so she asked to read it over (since it was like 8 pages of covering my own ass if she fucks shit up.) So, she read it over and then decided she would rather continue to live for free. I kept trying to get in contact with her, she continued to avoid me. So, I gave her the eviction notice.
I have nothing for the doors, I have the receipts. But, that’s not anything I would be able to charge her for, it’s my property, my responsibility.

My landlord can give me notice before he enters my apartment. Are you allowed to do the same thing to take pictures of the property? I don’t know how it works with private home vs. apartment complex.

That way, you can go in and take a walk through video to prove the state of the property now vs. when they leave, both with video/pictures. At least that way you can protect yourself a little bit more and that might stop them from wanting to destroy the place when leaving.

1. Hide outside.
  2. When everyone leaves the house enter with a big can of gasoline.
  3. Light match.
  4. ???
  5. Collect insurance.

Yeah, I did this and took pictures. Now that I’m taking her to court, I don’t think she’s going to just be like “OH, HAI… Come on in and take a video of the house, so when I rip your walls apart I can get sued.” lol

LOL. I wish.

Bump. What ever happened with this?

She’s gone… but didn’t go quietly… I’ll let him tell the story.

Never thought I’d see the words “cheap” and “lawyer” used together. As far as keeping the comments civil…not sure how I’d feel if I were in his shoes. How do you feel going to work 5,6, and 7 days a week so others can stay home while you pay their bills?

damn dude i forgot about this. im curious to hear what happened, maybe you can fill me in over a bubble tea tomorrow

even if he wasnt joking. fuck ******s. ALL of the white, black, yellow, red and pink ones too.

:bigtup:

Interesting thread. I’ve always been afraid of picking up rental properties in the city because my grandfather got burned on 3 properties a long time ago (quite literally, one of the houses burned to the ground because of a tenant).

He had issues with squatters too who destroyed the other properties. Finally he decided just to have them demolished because it wasn’t worth it anymore but he still owns the land.

After all of these bad experiences I hear about I still can’t help but be intrigued by the idea of becoming a property owner for $1,000 though.

Sorry guys, I’m in Dearborn, kicking it with my people.
Update: I defended myself in court, she had a lawyer. I’m a Pre-Law student, so I just talked to some people, found some sources, did my own research. Her lawyer was talking absurdly about how I went about it inappropriately, and that the eviction notice was not served properly (although, I had the Marshals serve it). You can bet the judge reamed a new asshole in both her and the lawyer. She didn’t like that very much.
So, She stole my $3500 furnace, literally ripped it from the gas line, with the gas still running. Left the pilot light on the stove going, as the place filled with gas. Ripped the washer and dryer out, left water and gas running in the laundry room, the water destroyed my floor. She painted all of the windows open, actually propped them open, painted them, let them dry open. Broke all of my cupboards and cabinet doors off. She kicked in the bathroom and bedroom doors, destroyed the steel back door and frame. She glued bricks to my living room wall and put a hole in it. She also destroyed all of the rugs, and stole my ceiling fan/light in the living room.
In the back yard, she started a large fire in a barrel and broke beer bottles everywhere.

Summary: Fuck that cuntbag bitch.

I’m currently starting on tearing everything apart and rebuilding. If any of you guys get bored you can go over and do some work :wink:

Are you kidding me? Holy fuck. It’s stories like this that make me think twice about getting a rental property. Are you eating the cost of all the damage or what?

Fuck this kind of makes me angry.

If you need help I am willing and quite able. I am strong in electrical but can give you a hand on most general construction and repair. Shit like this is horrible and I am more than happy to help make it work out for you.

Posted from tapatalk

So did you get a judgement against her for the damages?

So she got really creative when it came to finding ways to destroy the house, but not when it came to finding a way to pay the rent?

Hopefully she dropped dead and someone else lit a fire in a barrel - with her body in it.

are you going to try and go after her for the damages, or is it just not worth it?

I upgrade from an 80% efficient furnace to a 95% a couple years back. if you want my old one I’ll let it go super cheap.

Nope, it isn’t even worth it to take her to court. That is the risk associated with a foreclosure property. =[

That’d be awesome. I’ll be back in Buffalo next week, I’d appreciate any help. Food/ beers will be included :wink:

No, sir. It would basically be a waste of time and filing fees. I have NO IDEA where she moved, or I would have gone to her new house and taken a shit on her face.

I wish! I’m just thankful that she didn’t steal all of my copper. lol

Unfortunately, not worth it. I doubt I’d see any money, even after the judgement against her. Also, PM me on price, that would be great.