Exhaust issues

Okay the exhaust my car came with is not bad. It’s got a 3"dp, and 3" mandrel bent pipe all the way back to the Magnaflow muffler. No resonator.

Here’s the problem, from outside the car I hate how it sounds. It doesn’t even sound like an SR. I am sure the muffler is the culprit. When I had just a Magnaflow axle-back on my Spec (before I went header/full exhaust) it sounded just as shitty. I don’t know why, but the two Magnaflow mufflers I’ve had both sound like shitty air whooshing out of the exhaust. On two different engines.

I’ve heard SR20s with no resonator, just a free flow exhaust, and it sounds sexy as hell. I was going to just buy a whole new system this spring but lately I’ve been thinking why not just re-use the the piping I’ve got now and buy a low heat (read: not a cop magnet) exhaust. I’ve been eyeing Vibrants flat black univesal muffler lately. 3" in 3" out. I think it would look great with a 3.5" stainless tip welded on.

Bottom of page 2
http://www.vibrantperformance.com/products/catalog05/pg22-23.pdf

I’m just wondering if anyone has heard anything about these mufflers and whether or not it would sound like shit. Or should I just buy a new system and bite the bullet with all the exhaust tickets going out? :smiley:

It is up to you but most systems that come built are pretty quiet with an SR.

As long as you do not have a fart can out the back your chances of a ticket are alot smaller.

Ans louis you have heard my car and it is not bad. 90mm piping, full turbo extention, downpipe. All i have is one 12x6 resonator and the can at the back.