Experiences With UBER in Buffalo?

What do you guys think so far? Just in Buffalo, not other areas.

The one thing I’ve noticed is a LOT less cabs everywhere. It’s like poof and they vanished!

No more brown people cutting me off in traffic in shitty dodge caravans?

Win.

Yeah, fucker did the same thing to me.

We were going to use it for a wedding last week but then my wife decided she was only going to have a glass of wine with dinner so she drove. Probably use it in 2 weeks to get to the airport.

I have taken 3 uber rides so far. First guy seemed like he had never been to Buffalo before. Ended up using google maps and a different address to start the ride, WHILE the uber app was giving him different directions at the same time. I tried to gently say shut the g maps off and he seemed like he didn’t understand.

The next two rides were locals for sure and they were quick to show up, friendly and decent drivers.

Oh, and a cab from my house to Delaware and Allen is double the price of an uber.

My friend signed up to be a driver for uber. But I don’t onow if he has driven anyone yet.

great info :stuck_out_tongue:

0/10 super informative

Haha.

Yeah real helpful.

He said not much work near suburbs, he said downtown Elmwood hipster areas have more work.

He also said if I see other uber cars driving around to slash their tires lol. Obviously he was kidding.

• Updated - - -

Well with the forum as slow as it is these days, figure people wouldn’t mind my unhelpful banter.

I have 3 vehicles and a company work van, not including my girlfriends car, I suppose i will never be qualified enough to post in this thread.

We Uber’ed to Pearl St for a wedding, had a civil engineering major from UB drive us, brand new BMW too. It was only $12 from Tonawanda to Pearl St which is not bad.

I won’t use it unless I need to get into the city though, commuting around town I have my car and if I wanna get shitty then I just make the fiancé the DD

That sounds dirt cheap, how do the drivers even make any money.

@Jam has been driving for them for a few weeks. Good stuff.

Hopefully Jam put a rideshare rider on his insurance policy.

Uber group buys a policy for NY which is active when the app is active, therefore preventing the lapse in insurance that could exist for commercial use of the vehicle. I don’t drive Uber or Lyft but have a friend who was researching it and found this conclusion.

I totally forgot we had Lyft too. Anyone use Lyft?

Your friend will want to look into a lot more. There are huge holes with how Uber covers their drivers.

https://www.policygenius.com/blog/insurance-secret-uber-doesnt-want-know/

I was looking into this more as a hobby using our Enclave since it qualifies for both Uber XL and Uber Black and the Uber insurance policy is sketchy for drivers. If you’ve got a passenger you’re great but if you’ve got the app running without one you’re basically uninsured. Uber says you’re not driving for them when you’re driving around waiting for a fare but your insurance carrier will consider that commercial driving. I can’t find it now on my phone but there was a huge thread about this on a ride share drivers forum. They were saying one of the first questions insurers ask now when reporting a claim is , “Have you ever used this vehicle for ride share”. You can lie, which is felony insurance fraud and something they can easily find out, or you can answer truthfully at which point they’re going to point to the commercial exclusion on every personal policy and tell you you’re on your own.

The good news news is a lot of carriers are adding rideshare riders and they’re surprisingly inexpensive for ones that cover part time drivers.

Good info. I’ll pass this on. Thanks for writing it up.

you can get away until you encounter tragic events, then you are screwed. just like fast food delivery drivers, you need proper insurance to be covered but i bet 90% of drivers dont carry them.

I work for Geico and it is frustrating to hear all of the excuses people give on the ridesharing stuff. I work in sales for new policies and people get so frustrated when i tell them I can’t insure them in NY for ridesharing (at least right now). I can promise you tons of people lie about it and get away with it but when the shit hits the fan you are out of your god damn mind if you think a insurance company will not spend 10 min online to see if you post your life on facebook to see if a claim if fraud to deny tens of thousands in claims. Sometimes commercial insurance is really cheap and sometimes it is not. This is the same debate about U-ship. many drivers don’t carry proper insurance and they place the race to the bottom game. Which in turns hurts guys that do it the correct way it is a vicious battle. I priced out being a uber driver at one point and I failed to see a profitable living. vehicle expenses are significant long term.

I was curious to see what type of money they can make. Can it be worth doing if your vehicle doesn’t get good gas mileage or do you really need something really good on gas to make decent money.