Extreme Home Makeover: Buffalo Edition

My sister and I just registered online to volunteer. I really like what this show does…and think it’d be awesome to help out.

Anybody else interested in doing so can register at:

www.davidhomesextreme.com

The site wasn’t working when i just typed it in, so i google searched David Homes Extreme, and the link from there worked. You can pick shift times and days you can work…so it’s not like your obligated to do the whole thing. There’s also the option to sign up to be a spectator.

All I saw in your link was the word sex and I was excited…then I realized this thread was about me doing manual labor. Sorry im out…

Good for you man.

I watch it every day on CMT with a box of tissues in hand. Yes, I’m a girl.

Just registered :tup:

And since celebrity helpers are the theme this year…here’s to hoping the house is for a bunch of tween fans of some slutty Disney chick!!!

There’s no option for welding under skilled trades… how epic of a fail is that! =(
I did email them telling them I can bring an 11k watt generator/welder out if it’s needed, lol.

just registered.

Registered myself under the skilled trades and the gf under helping hands. :tup: for a great cause

so what family and why are they getting a house?

i’m gonna try becoming a sponser and be a helping hand. :tup:

They built one of those Extreme houses in Geneva last year and I volunteered for it. Overall I had a good time and the house was finished just in time. It was kinda funny because the person hat had the home built was a good friend of mine and we weren’t allowed over there until like 3 months after the home was built. They were super strict about who could visit them and stuff like that

This cause is good thinking but 9 times out of 10 the greedy town reassessed the house and the family can’t afford the taxes on it anymore.

ya I was curious if they have done anything about the property tax problems that arise with these projects. I hope so cause it is a amazing thing

If you search around the interwebs, there’s tons of stories out there about people losing these homes, letting them go to shit etc. I know they pay off mortgages for the people now though…but taxes are another story…

^^^^So true. The people that had their home built in Geneva paid somewhere around $5,800 for their old house, after the new one was built I heard it was around $12,000 a year for the house.

Google “truth about extreme home makeover”…yikes.

One couple adopted this family of five orphaned kids ages 14-21 from their church, had a home built because of their story…then kicked all the kids out after they got their $450,000 nine bedroom home.

Another family took a loan out for $500,000 using their new home as collateral and lost it. Ha.

Ya most people are used to living in filth so they never take care of the place. If a $2000 cooking surface has problems do you really think these families are going to pay to fix it?

Also most people have a few hundred in their bank accounts and suddenly have a half million dollar asset in their possession.

Good thought for the families who need it but it usually never works out.

My sister said she heard that it’s going to be an inner city Buffalo home…which bothers me, because a lot of those people don’t deserve help. I was really hoping it was going to be the family that had the plane crash into their home last spring…

I think it was offered to them and they declined. They didn’t want to live in the same place where the tragedy happened. IIRC they have since moved to a different location, possibly out of state.

But you are right, most of these inner city homes in the city have gone to shit. Simply because people don’t care that they live in squalor. They wouldn’t even bother to get a can of WD-40 for a squeaky door.

I really hope it is them too, although it would be interesting to see a inter-city home rebuilt… the lots are very small.

I think me and wife are going to do helping hands. She loves the show and I do think it is a good cause.

I have always wondered how many people really take care of the gift given them.