ezpass...speed tracking???

ive been told that nys can give u a ticket for speeding by tracking the time logs from your ezpass, is this true???

yah

happened to someone on here

edit: doh i read it wrong, I know that someone got a ticket for going thru the ez pass lane to fast, but i dno about what ur talkin about

I’ve only heard of friends of friends of someone’s cousin having this happen to them… so I dunno.

They can’t nail you with a speeding ticket because there is no proof that the person driving the car is the person that the EZ pass is registered to.

Im pretty sure it states in the EZ Pass brochure that they cant give you a speeding ticket based on EZ Pass.

yet another reason not to have ezpass

When ya run a Red light and the Camera on the poll takes a picture of your plate. The person registered to the car gets the ticket no matter who was driving it because the camera is enough proof alone. So I’d say if it “Was” true, They probably could still do that. Its more Ticket the Vehicle rather than the Driver.

yeah they do…when i got busted three separate times for speeding…lol…it was a itemized statement letter from ez-pass…it stated the speed, what day it occured on and time…:tdown: to a 6 month suspension

im not tolking about the speed u drive through the toll booth, im talking about the noticable reduced time it takes u to go from point A to point B.

The potential is there. I have seen it happen in Conneticut, but I have yet to see an actual ticket of that nature happen in NY.

No. I’ve clocked off some sweet times from here to NYIRP with no problems.

All they do is change the laws when they add enforcement items like that. That, and add cameras that take pictures of the drivers face, it’s very easy to do.

Odd still though. It must use a GPS device somehow. Cause I know on my laptop in the car, it tells me my speed And I can add devices to my program to track other(s) if i wanted to. Thats pretty crazy though that they go that low to screw someone

they dont need GPS. they need the fact that you traveled 100 miles in 60 minutes, obviously averaging 100MPH.

I would doubt it because then the converse would be true…they could ticket you for going too slow if you stop for food or something. Also if it was true…there would be no need for state troopers patrolling the highways and last i checked they were unionized so it isnt gonna happen.

UNPOSSIBLE!!!11!!1!!1!

:lol:

Yeah, they could track it with your ticket as well, they know when you got the ticket, and they obviously know when you gave it to them… simple math for some people.

And I’ve avg’d 100+ between tolls before with no tickets.

It’s not GPS, it’s a radio transponder.

but i have a transponder detector, and it never goes off.

Fix your transponder detector :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s using a microwave pulse as part of a point to point system. It’s a very low power frequency, and it will only trip when told to. If you look at the approach to the toll booths, the transponder doesn’t transmit until it gets the signal from the box up top (or camera). The pulse is so low your average transponder detector won’t pick it up. Also depending on the harmonics involved, you will probably never detect it. So it remains off most of the time.

Therefore, the NY E-Z Pass system in it’s current form cannot be accurately used to track you because it is not a constant signal being used. They can only track which toll booth you went through with a time and date stamp. Once you are in between toll booths, they have no idea where you are until you tag back in at the next offramp.

Plus, the E-Z PAss if you were to be tracked by it would have to be constantly on. The battery drain would be rediculous. How do you think you are able to have an E-ZPass and never replace the thing for 4+ years?

The only way they could even begin to track you would be to setup multiple (i.e. MANY) transponders at periodic mile points along every interstate to tag your pass. That woulld not happen in my opinion because:

1. Too much money for all that equipment, and probably wouldn’t balance out revenue generated.

2. Lots of people bitching that their E-Z Pass died/stopped working within 3-5 months of them having it (if not sooner) because the battery would constantly be in use.

Now if you’ve noticed in other states, and CAnada (407 and a few others) there are multiple transponders, but they don’t stretch the length of the highway. I think they are just there as secondary and tertiary contact points incase the main toll reader missed you. These places also allow yu to drive through at over 50mph.

You have a better probability of being tracked by your cellphone than with an E-Z Pass, just because of the proliferation of towers and the strength of the signal. How many of you turn off your cellphones? :snky:

Don’t everyone get your tin-foil hats all at once now.