f body people, my clutch is squeaking, whats wrong?

if you press clutch pedal and noise goes away or reduces that is typical of a throwout bearing. if you are pressed for time i can drop the trans out and reinstall in one evening.

humm, weird, mine is doing the opposite.

how much would it cost?

hey guys, i found a video of someone having the same sound as me:

that is an lt1 though, and i know the hydraulics are different than in the ls1 style, so what could it be?

one way to find out take a few hours drop the tranny and inspect it. Grinding sounds like bearing in the trans went out on the front shaft, which woudl be lack of fluid

using a mityvac will alway lead to a firmer pedal feel which what you want. you dont want a spongy feeling pedal

when is last time you checked the fluid level in the trans? if you hear the noise its probably to late

i checked the fluid about 2 weeks ago and it was 1 quart low, give or take.

i just went to advance auto, and got a pilot bushing, i didnt pay attention at the store, but they gave me this one:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Clutch-Pilot-Bushing-National_3278050-P_775_R|GRP60006_340983977___

the stock one, ad the one i replaced before looked like this: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

is there any negatives to the one he gave me, or should i take it back and get the second one?

how many quarts did you orignally put in the trans? they take 3.7 quarts dry. i run 4 qts to help with the sloshing effect on hard acceleration. if you were low on fluid you might of hurt the bearings which causing that grinding sound

also what fluid did you use in the trans?

i just put fluid in until it started to come out of the fill hole.

i used valvoline dexron for the fluid

do you have any opinions on the pilot bushing? I would rather not take the trans out for a 3rd time

if it fits and that is the one they gave you use it then. Past few builds ive ran a pilot bearing not a bushing.

assuming the trans was level when you filled it you should be good there.

when you last removed trans did you inspect the input shaft for unusual wear? did you try to spin the shaft to feel for anything? also when you checked the fluid did you notice any metalic to it?

it fits, i looked up the dimensions, but they had multiple ones and he gave me the cheaper one, i think he was new. Their computer didnt have the pictures of the bushing, so i didnt know what i got until i went home and looked up the part number.

when i last removed the trans, everything seemed normal, fluid, everything. I removed it to change the stock clutch because it had around 125,000 miles on it, and winter was coming up so i didnt want to be stuck taking the trans out in 0F degree weather just incase it started slipping on me.

hey guys, just dropped the trans, it didnt take me nearly as long as i thought ~3 1/2 hours, but anyways i found the problem, my TO bearing basically fell apart in my hands after i dropped the trans.

im still going to replace the pilot, so when i get it, should i dip it on oil, or just put it in the way it comes? Some people say to use grease, others say to use nothing, some say oil, etc.

i typically put them in dry. if you coat the bearing the grease may land up on clutch and you will be doing this again soon

thanks, putting it in dry is ok?

i really would not like to mess anything up, i was thinking of dipping it in some oil and wiping all of the excess oil back off, good, or bad idea?

it just seems weird to me to install something that spins against my input shaft dry, but i assume they all come with oil already in them?

i know i might be annoying, but i would rather do it right once than to have to take it apart like i had to again this time because i used some cheap parts

Eh I would just install It dry. Like Jeff said If anything gets on the clutch you are screwed. Just please for the sake of the grinding noise drop the trans soon!

i dropped the trans this morning, i have been fighting with the y pipe though because i cant get the oil pan down to replace the gasket.

the TO bearing basically just fell off of the slave cylinder, and the bearing is pretty wobbily when you play with it, im pretty sure that is the reason it was making the noise, well hopefully.

i noticed the input shaft had a tiny amount of play in it, i dont know if that is normal or not, but there is no leaks at the front of the trans, it seems to be leaking from the speed sensor

ugh, my pilot bearing is stuck in the crank, i spent about an hour today trying to get it out, and i have two broken bolts on the y pipe that i cant get out

i tried welding a nut to the one, but i kept breaking the weld, and the other doesnt have enough sticking out to use my bolt outs or weld anything to it.

i tried a drill to drill them out but i was going nowhere

anyone have some tips? I wasnt expecting these problems, i figured i would be driving my car by now

if you don’t have a puller for the bearing you can use a grinder. grind a slot in bearing and it will pop out. or if you have a solid bearing you can pack them with greasse and find tight fitting rod to insert in bearing hole. tap it and the wheel bearing grease will push the bearing out. doesn’t always work but sometimes it does

yeah, i was trying that for over an hour yesterday, used the same exact tool i used to get my old pilot out

im going to see if i can rent/buy a puller in a bit

Hey jeff, i cannot get those broken bolts out of my exhaust manifold that attach to my y pipe, i have tried everything, do you do that kind of stuff?

im thinking of putting my transmission back in and maybe taking it down to your place, you open tomorrow? My friend wants to stop up at your place for his exhaust, thanks man

well i got the trans and everything back in, just need to bleed the hydraulics, and hopefully my problem is gone.

thanks for all the help guys, i got my car running again a few days ago and everything seems great. The clutch is slipping a bit because it is a PITA to bleed the hydraulics, so im gonna bleed the hell out of it tomorrow.

@ Jeff, nice meeting you, Im probably gonna replace my axles and wheel bearings for both sides, after i talked to you and looked at everything it seems really easy to do, the hardest part seems to be dealing with the diff fluid smell.