f bulkhead fittings.

wanted to start my car tonight. double checked all my fuel lines, everything is tight. dump 5 gallons of 110 in it. double check for leaks, no drips. look at the bulkhead coming off the bottom of my tank (sumped factory tank)-- not a fast drip–actually not even a drip. However, i could see it getting shinny on the -an fitting, like a slow seeping of gas. the gas was riding the threads of the bulkhead down through the nylon washer and aluminium nut.

so suck the gas out of the tank after i couldnt get the fitting any tighter to stop the seeping.

address the situation, try to come up w/ a solution. on newer bulkeads, they are giving metal washers to back the nylon washer. so i drill out two washer to fit over the -10 fitting, and slip them behind the nylon washers. tighten shit back up.

dumped a gallon of gas in it, bitch is still getting gas through the threads. not as much b4, maybe the tip of a pen in a minute span. but wtf! gas should not be able to get past the nylon, and follow the threads down.

so fuck it, i got 2 option, pull the rear axle, unhook my brakes- which is bleed and probably the best pedal feeling i ever had in any car. in addition, i would have to disconect my fuel system and weld a steel -an fitting directly on the tank.

Or, smear jb weld on the threads of the aluminium lock washer and the bulkhead so it acts liek how teflon tape/past does w/ pipe fittings. The jb weld will “seal” off the threads so gas cannot seep down.

either way, 5 steps forward, 10 back…

maybe you need someone who is more than 130 lbs to tighten it. :moon:

curious why you couldn’t just use teflon tape?

gas might eat it?

Look at it this way, better that it happens in the shop than while you are out somewhere. Either way still sux. Good luck starting the car:bigthumb:

yes it does

gas eats jbweld too

i know it eats teflon tape, but seen the jb weld trick b4 w/o the jb weld being ate. so dunno about that.

i did find a silicone that’s able to be submurged in gas but no one resells it so all i can do is read the specs.

i have teflon tape on my regulator.

i use the tape on all my fuel fittings it only dissolves when comes in direct contact with the teflon

herd alot of of the same problems with those fitting on tanks!!

thats why i decided to go with metal tank and sump kit…

my suggest is to weld in a female -10 bung for it on the tank

then get some male -10 fittings and run the lines

suggest to do two bungs into a y block to filter and pump.

just like you would see on the exit of the comp engineering suimp kit…

def use teflon tape

i ran my bulkheads through the top of the stock tank sending unit area, so there’s no leaking around the fittings.

i took the bulkhead off the tank. put the lower lock nut where i wanted it, and jb welded it. then put the washer on, welded it too.

let it sit.

put the nylon washer on, stuck the other end up through the tank, applied the washers and locknut. torqued evertyihing down, dropped the 110 in it, primed the system, no leaks. jb weld to the rescue. never in a million years would i think i would ever use jbweld. i generally make fun of the shit. but it saved my ass this time.

well does it run?

:slight_smile: pics will come when im done in my mind.

i know it’s kind of late but if there’s a tractor supply near you they have a yellow thread tape that’s specifically for fuel, oil, kerosene, butane…etc…