Facebook buys Whatsapp for $19Billion

^^^ what @LZ1 said. @bing could use it to text me for free, but he refuses to get a modern phone :slight_smile:

I see parallels with Yahoo here but only time will tell. I canā€™t imagine Facebook, given the documented failures of Yahoo, would go down that road. But politicians do something similar all the timeā€¦

wtf is whatsapp?

yeah i know that a lot of people use whatsapp and after reading some of the stuff in the last 24 hours i get it.

because itā€™s data-based you can use it to get around roaming for international users. As a result the app is HUGE in Europe, Africa, Asia etc. where Facebook is weaker.

On a per user basis the valuation seems light. $42 per user vs like $177 per user is Facebookā€™s valuation and $212 is Twitter.

Strategically it makes good sense but that doesnā€™t mean it will pan out for FB. I hope it does thoughā€¦ because if FB goes down someone PE firm or a media group will do a proxy on themā€¦ iā€™d rather Zuckerberg ran the show than some hedge fund manager

Speaking of companies that had insanely large market share and a planā€¦

Anyone still use AOL?

who was running AOL though?

Some of the best people at the time?

• Updated - - -

My point is this HAS happened before - Dot-com bubble - Wikipedia

At that point it was anything internet related fast forward 10-15 years now itā€™s social media/mobile apps.

Just say mobile/social media and you can get a few million in VC funding

You think a company that charges $.99 a user for 1 year of service with 450 million users is worth 19 billion? Youā€™re in completely uncharted territory when you look long term at mobile.

There was a time when nobody thought blackberry would fail for example

well they couldnā€™t have been that good :slight_smile: but sure, hindsight is 20/20

you know there are so many ways to monetize metadata without ever touching the customer. Linking Whatsapp metadata to FB data would increase the value of targeted advertising in a pretty big way. There are a number of ways to monetize without advertising or increasing annual rates. I dont know about reaching a $19b valuation without advertising but if anyone can do it it would be FB or Google.

WhatsApp claims nothing is going to change we shall see

nothing will change on the user sideā€¦ itā€™ll change on the data side.

I think theyā€™re going to figure out the amount of useful data in private conversations over SMS/chat is very little

At least facebook you like and interact with products/companies/etc it makes smart suggestions on ads based on that data.

Theyā€™ll pick up some gps based data too, maybe link the whatsapp account with FB and Instagram and get their ad rev that way

early peeps are getting $160mil each

ā€¦and iā€™d retire.

After Canada took their taxes out youā€™d almost have enough for a new GT3.

Canada???

nah, you hold your shares in trust through a holdco and then have all your friends and family on as beneficiaries and use up their capital gains exemptionsā€¦ then pay corporate tax rates on the balance brah :slight_smile:

IIRC facebook only made something like 1.3 billion in 2013

19B for phone numbers that are required for the app and are not required to be inputted into FB

If Facebook dies it will because of shit like this and businesses abandoning it.

https://youtu.be/oVfHeWTKjag

PSā€¦ subscribe to Veritasium on Youtube, he always posts good stuff.

Is this really true?

SpaceX is only worth 4.8 billion :ham: