Factory stripes

i’ve been trying to remove the factory strips on my 1990 hatch. as i take of the strips which seem to be some kind of tape a glue residue and black tape outline are left behind. is there a good way to take that residue off? so far ive tried heat soap and water and goo gone.

side of rear bumper showing some of stripe
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/jondep/stripes.jpg
back of rear bumper showing glue and black outline
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/jondep/Picture007.jpg[/img]

Kent Acrosol works wonders, if you cant find it tho brake cleans will work also

where would i find acrysol?..canadian tire?.. :oops: :?:

zippo fluid

r u bein serious wit zippo fluid?

r u bein seriouz wit dat kine of talkin?

no point typin stuff fully on a computer i use msn a lot

There is a point here, since we appreciate it when you put in the effort. So please do.

Don’t use brake clean its not good for paint… It says it on the can. The stuff I would recomend is all purpose surface cleaner used in paint shops. You can pick it up at any body suplie shop.
Other suggestions are “Goof Off” comes in a white can and works great, dosen’t harm paint or anything just takes some elbow grease.
or “Acetone” It works easly, but will remove the paint, depends on your porpose behind it. You can pick it up at “ct” or anywhere that deals with car parts.

ok thanks jspec

no problem, there all fairly cheap $10 or so.

I think i remember reading on here somebody saying something about using gasoline for removing that shit. Please correct me if im wrong.

^^im sure it will work, but its very bad for the paint

I heard Goo Gone works really well. I will be using that in the near future to remove my stripe. It can be purchased at Canadian Tire or any other type of store like Walmart etc…

I’ve used it, and no thanks, I’d perfer a laquer thinner as “goo gone” requires quite a bit of elbow grease.

I used it to remove duct tpae residue from a dashboard after the sun dried it on real good…

I’ve used it, and no thanks, I’d perfer a laquer thinner as “goo gone” requires quite a bit of elbow grease.

I used it to remove duct tpae residue from a dashboard after the sun dried it on real good…[/quote]

OH :shock: Well in that case thanks for the heads up.

i tried paint thinner it worked great… thank you everyone for your suggestions

I think that stripe looks good on there lol

Did the paint thinner affect the paint at all?

I used gasoline to get rid of all the residue from interior sound deadening, I am sure it would work on the exterior, just wipe up any excess so it doesn’t sit on the paint and damage it…

But it sounds like you’re done.