Removing pin striping

I had my bike striped last year. While it looks decent, it could be better. I was told by the striper that I could remove it using oven cleaner. I bought a spare fender in case this fails. lol I put the oven cleaner on at 6PM tonight. I will leave it on for 2 hours and see what I am left with.

BEFORE

Beginning

I’ll post what it looks like in another hour or so…

ooo the suspense! haha curious to see if it works, goodluck!

[quote=“Adictd2b00st,post:2,topic:26762"”]

ooo the suspense! haha curious to see if it works, goodluck!

[/quote]

I know when I used to build plastic models, sometimes I wouldn’t like the paint job. I used oven cleaner back then to remove the paint and it worked well.

We’ll see…

should of had my dad stripe it :slight_smile:

[quote=“BuickGN,post:4,topic:26762"”]

should of had my dad stripe it :slight_smile:

[/quote]

If I get the crap off, I’ll check him out. I really can’t complain, it only cost me $100.00 for both fenders and the tank.

IMO those looked pretty good, yes ive seen better but those were pretty good.

[quote=“JUICEDSS,post:5,topic:26762"”]

If I get the crap off, I’ll check him out. I really can’t complain, it only cost me $100.00 for both fenders and the tank.

[/quote]

who did it?

and try rubbing compound if you only want the stripes off, that is of course if it isnt cleared.

In the past, i’ve just used a really hot blow dryer.

It came off but left a light stripe. That came off easily with the thumb nail. Being impatient and sto0pid, I decided it would be faster with a scrubby sponge used lightly. Do you know what that does to clear coat ??? lol Damn!

I am now wet sanding with 2000 - 12000 grit I use with model paints. Results will be posted later.

If it’s tape, then a heatgun and adhesive remover, if it’s paint… then I dunno…

lol that sucks, did you sand all of the clear off? if so you might as well take all the clear off before you get it restripped and then get the whole thing cleared over the striping

At least it is cheap to redo a small fender if need be. When I do the rest of the bike, I think I’ll skip the scrubby sponge!

hah good call, how bad was the damage from it?

in for results pics :slight_smile:

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:10,topic:26762"”]

If it’s tape, then a heatgun and adhesive remover, if it’s paint… then I dunno…

[/quote]

thats not real striping :slight_smile:

but yeah if it was taped on then a air gun would be fine.

yea, those scrubby sponges are basically just a scotchbrite pad, which is what they use to scuff clearcoat when blending… ouch.

But a scuff and clear is cheap, especially if you know someone.

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:16,topic:26762"”]

yea, those scrubby sponges are basically just a scotchbrite pad, which is what they use to scuff clearcoat when blending… ouch.

But a scuff and clear is cheap, especially if you know someone.

[/quote]

or if you have the ability to do it yourself

Looks like crap now…Zaino time…