Fiberglass?

Hey, I’m thinking about making myself some fiberglass kick panels for my components. Anyone know of any place that sells the cloth and resin cheap. I know I have to make a mould and everything first. But, does anyone have any tips/tricks when it comes time to start putting the cloth/resin on?

make sure you wait until the specified time! and dont get frusterated if iit turns out like crap the first couple of times.those are the only problems I ever encountered.But i suck greatly.lol

i had to learn how to do it in school just last yr, make sure you got gloves, a really sharp knife, and yes take your time, make suer you alternate pattern placement, go like 45,-45,90,-45,45 kind of deal, that way it won’t curl on ya

Ghetto cheapo style. But this WORKS. This is a long arduous task, but so is anything with fibreglass.

Items needed:
Hot glue gun (works best, dries fast)
Old T-shirts (cotton is what I usually use)
Wire, any gauge you feel comfortable working with.
or:
Cardboard strips
sheets of stiff paper or cardboard again.
liquid resin
Auto Body filler
Lots of sanding paper (or whatever you would use. Personally, I use a heavy bastard mill file of various sizes and textures to get a rough shape then sand paper to get the smooth flowing lines)
3m Spray adhesive
3 way stretch vinyl

Fior this example, we’ll use a dash mounted pod with a flat bottom.

Make a “wire frame” for what you want the shape to be. Use wire, cardboard, etc. Glue into place on a flat piece of cardboard.

Find an old shirt (t-shirt, cotton works good) stretch cloth over the wire frame and secure the ends with a hot glue gun.

So what you should have is a wire frame with the shirt stretched over top of it mounted on a flat piece of cardboard.

Use the resin and coat the cloth shirt completely and all areas. Let air dry.

It should dry to a hardended version of your “frame”

Now apply body filler (don’t use too much at a time, otherwise, the the un-used portions will harden. That crap hardens faster than you can say FUCK!)

The idea behind the body filler is to fill in the uneven surfaces so when you sand, you’ll have an nice even surface, so build it up thick. Now the fun part begins

Sand, file, grind, whatever to the desired flow and/or shape you want, drill the holes, etc.

Once that’s done, clean it off with a damp rag (might need something more extensive depending on the finish and amount of sanding. Now apply some 3M spray adhesive and muscle the vinyl until it stays on.

Tada.

This method can be used to built roughly any shape, any size, any ideas you have, this method works. I learned from someone who used this method to build a 5 pod dash mounted guages that replaced the passenger side airbag (I know, illegal) angled towards the driver.

You imagination is the limit to this, but plan ahead and work slowly.

Good luck in your project :slight_smile:

fleece works really good. Dont get the thick fuzzy stuff just the thinner stretchy stuff. It’s light and holds resin well. I just picked some up at walmart. Cost about 2$ for a 1mx1m square

One thing i recommend is pre-cutting your fiberglass matting. This way you dont have your resin hardening on your while your cutting up the matting.

WEAR LATEX GLOVES. (i prefer the blue neoprene gloves but both work) If you dont well…lets just say its one of those things you will only do once. Wear a face mask to.

If you need lots of resin, check out a marine supply shop. If you need smaller quantities, any body shop supply store should have some, and yes wear a face mask/respirator

Canadian Tire sells a small kit that I have used a couple times. If you looking to do a larger project and you want to save some money try Viking Plastics. Its been a while since I have been in there but they should still be around.

x2

These are the only guys you should ever need to speak to: http://www.vikingplastics.ca/

They are located in teh west end, highly knowledgable, they can sell you anything from a can to a tub.

THey are always ready to help with lots of advice and how to apply their products. I also picked up a 2 part casting resin from them to make solid motor mounts.

I’m not sure of their pricing as of late, haven’t been over there in awhile, but I remember they were very reasonable cost wise.

The canadian tire resin kits are pretty good too :slight_smile:

these took me like 10 hours to make the hardest part is carpeting them dont cheap out on cheap ass clue!!!

good job mate

thanks they look really clean dont they