Final Fitment Check

I’ve looked at tons of pics and done the offset calculations, just wanted to get a final confirmation before I order my wheels&tires. The potential setup:

Wheels: 18x8.5 +35 All around
Tires: 225/45r18 All around

S14, currently on stock springs, no roll on the fenders. I would like to get a close to flush fit with no stretch, no tuck and no camber. Would eventually like to move to coilovers and a mild drop. Will my wheel/tire combo work? Would I be able to fit a 235/40r18 tire?

Thanks.

Stock suspension? lowered?

225/45/18 is probably going to be too tall = scrape!!!

I would recommend 225/35/18 and 235/35/18 (rear can be taller because it doesn’t need to steer and 30 series tires are lame)

I recommend using this tool http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

you can compare your current tire size and your tire size in question to decide if it will fit. when you go up in wheel size, you will typically keep the height of the tire the same by adjusting the width and sidewall.

just remember that sidewall height is a measurement of your tire width, and a percentage

ie; 225/45/18 is 45% of 225mm = 100ish mm of height.

I’ve put 24’s on cars and people were amazed they fit, but the truth of the matter is that the height of the tires were exactly the same a stock ride height, so there was never any question that they would fit.

the reason you do this is to a)ensure fitment (even at full lock) and b) to keep the speedometer reading the correct speed as the speed sensor reads revolutions of the exit shaft on the transmission, not the actual surface area of the tire.

A 225/40/18 is 25.1" tall

A 235/35/18 is really short, 24.4" tall

A 245/35/18 is still shorter than stock at 24.8"

And a 255/35/18 is stock height which is 25"

With a 18x8.5 you could run one of the later if you want it straight and not stretched or whatever.

I run 17x9.5 with 255s and its relatively straight, but i have an r comp so its lightly wider more like a 265 if measured in my case a 17x10 would make it really square.

I’d consider the 245 or 255 in a 35 profile.

This is the wheel calc I use I love it: http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Just for a tease a 295/30/18 is 25" tall :wink: but you’d need to run 18x10.5" or 11" to make it really square. Nothing wrong with lower profiles, better road feel and response ftw.

Don’t do a honda thing and run like 23-24" tall tires just to slam a car as some 240 owners even do (215/40/17 on 17x9 wtf? – that’s 23.8" tall and looks retarded)

18x8.5 +35 is not a good looking size for a 240.

Also, your rims will have zero resale value.

18x9.5 +15 (i.e. battles) are a perfect size to run a good tire, and not have to kill fenders. I used to run 18x10 all around, -3 front and +15 rear. Its all personal taste.

I think you’ll be rubbing on the front struts with the +35.

Especially with coilovers, since it sticks out more then stock struts. I think a 9.5 +20 would JUST clear a coilover on the front maybe even rub. Try to get something that sticks out a little more then the +20 and your golden.

But ^^hes right tho the 9.5 +15 combo is a prefect fit for matching size all around.

@ahmed, I really like that calculator.

the 240 from the factory is a high offset vehicle, so +35 is perfect fit. I’ve used +35 up to 9.5 inches and had more than enough room to spare.

however, low offset is where its at. Even though the 240 wasn’t designed as a low offset car, it takes it well. and back in the day, the low offset trend started in order to get more steering angle without changing the geometry of the suspension.

only thing you have to be careful about is going too low with too tall of a tire. you’ll scrape the fender liner when you turn and might have to roll the fenders, depending on offset of course.

oh yeah forgot to say i had to mash the seams, relocate harness or pull tigther up basically and mash some other stuff lol and of course remove the fender liner … ya…

you’re doing it wrong.
fender liners for lyfe

^Uh… I guess you’re one of the fellas running 215s on 17x9s lool. You need to get rid of the liners if you want to fit wider tires up front, well suure you can fit them but you’ll be rubbing all over the place under compression especially. Anyways, I’m not doing it wrong, the guys running 215s on 17x9s are doing it wrong. Go propose your tire and width combination to car manufacturers and lets see what happens.

Also best of luck on your wiring harness, if you haven’t run wide wheels AND wide tires while lowered you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Better clear that up for him before he makes that mistake. That only works on the rear. Not the front.

the wheel fitment thread on here is where i made a post with similar specs… i had rubbing with coilover issues on the front with +35

If I remember correctly, I was using a 225/40?/17 up front on 9.5 wheel. perfect fitment.

tire size is going to be the key factor, like anything always.

if you match the tire height close to stock, there’s no reason +35 wont fit. The car was after all designed for high offset +35 - +42