Fixed the STi transmission. Pics on post 130.

L O L

0.5 - 1.0 faster in the 1/4 is only “slightly faster”

QFT

Don’t get me wrong, Dogboxes are cool as shit but if you are not in it for the long haul, it’s not really worth it.

Yeah, so basically he skunked his tranny? I.E. it was holding up just fine to the power he had?

You do the math, engineer. :slight_smile:

A stock STi transmission is plenty strong enough for what he was doing. There are stock transmissions well into the 10’s that are reliable. The difference in 1/4 mile time is the faster shifting, and removing a shift (or 2). It won’t help allot for the highway pulls.

Heck, Voltron was putting some serious power to a stock sti transmission last year with no problems.

It’s not the power level, it’s the shifting style that is the problem.

Rebuild! and get the e30 on the road…

although that would be the poor man’s way out :slight_smile:

Look into maintenance costs with a dogbox, they need to be serviced and rebuilt quite often, which is very expensive. They are also prone to failure. I’ve watched them break left and right at rallies, and most crews rebuild after every 2-3 rallies, if not sooner.

The Stock STI box is very strong, and is serviceable if you know the right people afaik.

I would say rebuild or buy new.

I think PPG did at 6K

dogbox is gay…

who cares how modified the car is… you have bought 2 brand new Subaru’s have you not?

Does the dealer want you to buy a 3rd?

remove what’s easy and take it in.

Newman - “Ma shit’s broke”

Subaru - “Car too modded, we no warranty”

Newman - “I has boughten 2 Subaru’s here before, maybe next time i buy Hyundai?”

Subaru - “EGADS!!”

Newman - “I bare partial cost if you make this easy for me. Keeping in mind that i buy new cars on an annual basis. I have also traded my cars back to the dealer to upgrade in the past. Therefore, you want me to like you and you want me to buy here next time.”

question: Does the dealer bare the cost of warranty out of pocket?

paperwork and arguing with supplier usually.

good point bing

My mother in law has had to fight for Subaru warranty work a few times over the last couple of years. What she found out was that apparently the dealership gets paid to do the work but it’s at a lower rate than what they charge the public, so they do effectively lose money doing warranty work.

+1 for Bing’s idea.

A+++ would do business with again

The straight cut gear whine would get really annoying for me.

I would only do it if your turning it into a drag car. Otherwise I would repair yours to stock spec.

i don’t see the point of you getting a race transmission since you refuse to participate in any sort of motorsports…

yea i think rly the dog box is a bit much, even tho i voted for it. lol

especially if you might not have the car that much longer, see what you can work out with the dealer. maybe post on an subaru forum and see if anyone might have a connection at a dealership somewhere else in ny/pa/ohio would be worth it if you could get hooked up

You still have to lift to shift the dogbox right?

DO what bing said… and tow it there with the rover.