fixing rust

today i decided that it was time to fix all my rust bubbles on my 240, went out and bought a sander, primer, fiberglass filling and the color that i needed for my car. this is my first time doing this and i wanna get it done myself…im just looking for some tips in doing this the right way and if i need to buy something else.

there are some cheese grader looking items buy one it will have a hnadle you can use it to take all of the ruff edges off the bondo

get all the rust out, and your going to have to bondo, then sand then bondo then sand…etc till you get it perfect. ho and you can buy a bondo and fibre glass mix that wont crack as easy and is easier to work with then straight bondo.

thx

could the bondo glass mix cover a hole that is about 2 inch by 2 inch or is it recommended to weld a little metal sheet there

WELD WELD WELD were you can…

please dont fill the holes with bondo
its asking for more bigger problems down the road

goodluck man

jord

if you cant get a hold of a welder then use jb weld or rivets then bondo over

Also, post the vin number of the car, incase you decide to sell it later, so that none of us end up with a car with big ass holes full of bondo.

wow bondo why even bother if your trying to bondo a 2" hole… how do you plan on filling a 2" hole with bondo… they should give it out to people buying 240’s for free upon purchase, because a 240 and body filler go hand in hand…

LMFAO

^^^^^
hahaha

yea definetly try to weld in some metal, rivets can eventually hold moisture and rust but if thats the path you have to go it’ll do. but dont just fill a 2’’ hole with bondo.

if i couldnt weld it, i would use fiber glass

go buy a flux core welder for 100 bucks… and weld it… Done and Done. it will look better in the end. and actually be done half right…

is it a corvette? is it made of fiberglass? NO therfor i would not suggest glass… unless you dont mind it breaking through in the spring.

keep fiberglass repairs with fiberglass panels and metal repairs with metal panels

jord

make sure you grind down the rust and then treat the metal with a rust inhibitor before you bondo and paint, otherwise the rust will come back very quickly. If I have to do any bondo work, I usually use the short strand fiberglass bondo first, sand that down and then use a skim coat of standard bondo to smooth everything out. Short strand fiberglass is a bitch to sand perfectly smooth which is the reason for the skim coat of standard bondo. I like the fiberglass because it’s a lot stronger. Also make sure you follow the directions on the bondo and paint for sanding and use the recommended sandpaper grits. Just so you know from my experience, and I’ve done a quite a bit of home body work on numerous cars, unless you use quality paint the rust will come back within months if not weeks. Basically, you are just slowing the process and keeping it from getting worse. Don’t be too disappointed if it comes out like crap because it almost always does for first time home body work. Here is a thread on the work I’ve done to my s13, it may help http://upnorthimports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7753

If you like burn through and panel warpage go right ahead. Save yourself the trouble and buy a decent mig with gas. It can still be had for about $500.

And don’t use fiberglass on metal. They both expand differently so it will eventually crack.

Really though, sanding it down and filling it with bondo isn’t going to do anything in the long term. It will hide it for a while but you’re just going to have to do it again. you may aswell just do it right the first time. Cut out the cancer and weld in new peices. You will obviously still need the Bondo to smooth it over. Do yourself another favour and use atleast the Bondo gold. It is so much easier to work with.

If you are set on going the cheap route and try to sand away the rust and then cover it up, go and get whats called “naval jelly”. It is a pink substance comes in a little plastic container. It is a rust inhibitor that has been around for liek 25 years. Give it a try.

well you wont burn through if you do it right.

you just tack it all over till its completly welded. pretty easy a few years ago thats all i has was a shitty flux core welder…Ive Done it many times… Now I have a good gas mig and a tig so yea… its alot nicer and alot better.

But I would fix it with welding. find somone that can weld some new metal in for you. and then just use a bit of filler to make it perfect.