Welding or Body Shop?

alright, i took a look under my car and it seems its starting to bubble a bit right where the rockers are (the place where you mount sideskirts onto) and i would like to get this dealt with before winter hits. i was wondering if sanding it down or cutting the corroded piece out and welding a new piece of metal in its place woud be a better way to fix it. also i have some small spots on the floor which is starting to rust too (size of a boston cream donut (yes i like boston cream lol) ). if people suggest the body shop, how would they come along to fix the problem? which way would be the better way? i don’t want some cheap bondo to fix this problem and have it arise after a few years.

here are some pics i just snapped to give everyone a better idea.

and here is the rest of my frame which looks pretty good to me.

if anyone has any positive input, please advice me which way is best and where i can get this done. thanks a lot!

ps: i do believe atutt had a post about doing some welding and im just waiting to get into contact with him via msn.

bodyshop.

x2.

don’t waste your time trying to do it yourself. it’ll end up sloppy and wont necessarily stop the spread of rust.

Talk to me on Wednesday, I have a few bodyshops I deal with.

i say you try getting rid of that urself, try it out as its very minor rust. If the job turns out good then you can do more body work in the future. Ask sockington for some tips. Hes real good at sanding, priming and fiberglassing.

cut that shit off and slap on a body kit.

put a body kit on right before winter? come on vince lol

i want to fix it so that it wont further spread during the winter.

when you start sanding that down…it will be a lot bigger than you thing…whats not yet a rust hole…after sanding it will be. Not so much a job for yourself if you want it to last. best option is a bodyshop unless your familiar with bodywork and have a welder.

who needs a welder lol… just cut out the peice then slap a peice of metal then just use marglass over top of it and call it a day. for better results if possible, marglass both sides.

You can rivet in sheets than bondo as well… i try to use as much metal and little filler. The riveting would be the cheapest and may last…rockers tend to flex a bit so filler can crack easily.

i fully agree with him!

what exactly is marglass?

yeah what is that i got some rust building up on the same spot gotta deal with it before winter

Marglass is fiberglass reinforced body filler. Same as what they call kitty hair and bondo/glass. I see it holding better than bondo as its more flexible but rust will push it out even so…