Fuel Gauge is Fucked...

Here’s my problem guys,

I filled up the gas tank from almost 2 weeks ago…overfilled it by accident to the point it dripped out and shot out a bit when I took the fuel filler out, I was kinda surprised it took only about 35$ to hickup and tried to make it for $40 till it started dripping.

Now the gauge takes forever to go up and say if I put 35$ of gas which was recently this week, it won’t even touch half tank full! like it’s stuck till a bit under half or something…
but it’ll go down normally, just fucked cuz it’s like the car’s drinking loads of fuel since the perception is that it isn’t even filling up over half tank with like $35 of gas. What can it be?

thanks in advance…

Lol, over filling it has nothing to do with your problem.

Just picture putting to much juice in a cup…

sending unit… wires on top? air bubbles in float?

…Process of elimination. Almost every weird electrical issue can be boiled down to a bad ground or corroded connection before a component is eliminated.

Honestly guys, this all happened after I overfilled it, the fuel gauge filling full tank really dam slow…then afterwards, just not reaching over the half tank fill line with $30 of gas or more. Interior smelt like gasoline for a few mins too after that night that I overfilled it too much, but that was about it other than this issue.

You probably screwed up the float. Pull out the fuel sending unit and take a look. The swing arm for the float mechanism has a plate of multiple contacts (probably a variable resistor) that it rubs across, the specific contact point on the whole scale determines the resistance. This resistance is what is used by the fuel gauge to tell the level. In summary, the height of the swing arm, and resultantly the point where the resistor is completing the circuit, determines the resistance used to display the fuel level.

Using this information, pull out the fuel sending unit and inspect everything. If the float has no leak, and swings properly across the whole range, you’re set mechanically. Then take a multimeter and touch the contacts across the variable resistor. If they show a full range from empty to full (check the values from NICO or the FSM). After doing all this and report back your findings.

Hope this helps. I know I accidentally repeated the same thing a few times, ignore that. lol

thanks Mr.Ahmed, we’ve met before!

hmm, now if I screwed up the float device, what options do I have? get a new float mechanism/fuel sending unit or can it be repairable?

Honestly first step is pulling the sending unit/fuel pump had a similar problem on my first 240. When i got in there it was the float. When you pull the device you will see it the unit is self explanatory.

By the way the interior of the car should not smell like gas unless it was on yourself. If it was not on you I can guarantee one of the bolts snapped maybe from the pressure not sure.

It is an easy fix other than the damn bolts.

Replacement if needed pick one up for 20 bucks

Cheers

I remember meeting someone telling me their forum name was RED_LINE, but I don’t remember who it was. Where did we meet? lol

The float mechanism is similar to that in a toilet bowl, you could probably use anything plastic that has air sealed inside, and will not dissolve inside gasoline over time. I overfilled once too, but now my gas tank doesn’t go past the full line like it used to. Mysterious. lol

haha, i heard overfills can be “overkills” for your fuel related parts on many cars!! be careful to everyone lol…

ya, I seen\met you @ the Kennedy Commons meet shortly before I left.

^I still don’t understand why though…

^research it on google, you’ll find out why overfills are bad! lol

Meh i filled my impala ALL the time to the top and like right to the top, never had a problem.

tank’s r us sells whole sending units,the guage resistor unit on the side(what u probly need) they helped me out.