fuel pump fuse blowing

Long story short. I was driving in the rain one day, came to a stop sign, started to accelerate and by 2500rpm my car shut off. Car wouldn’t start after. Found the fuel pump fuse blown, replaced it and put a walbro and new fuel filter in. Ever since car doesn’t start very well especially when been sitting for a night. It will take about 10 to 15 tries to get it started, and now rpm and coolant gauge don’t work. After driving for a few weeks like this I relized that if I turn the key forward and pump the gas 4 to 5 times it starts up first try, but a lot weaker than what it use to. But if its warm it starts up no problem, just not as instant as it use to be. Now the fuel pump fuse blew again and keeps blowing when I replace it.

I think unfortunately its electrical and I know dick all about electrical lol, but any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jay

First off, check your pump relay and all your grounds and connections…especially your grounds. Once you verify all of those are good, check your fuel pressure. Let me know what you find and then we will take it from there.

sounds like a harness issue

hows the top of your sending unit look?

Werd^.

I had the same problem, mine were all rotted and the ground was corroded right off.

i have a quick question too. this is happening to me too. cept it happens as sooon as i turn the key. the fuse pops. 15 amp. and its a walbro 255… i notice my gas guage isnt working either. think it could be related… not sure how to go about this. where is the sending unit? im not too familiar with the fuel system.

Nate, you need a sending unit.

OP, you probably need a sending unit.

Edit; should have been a little clearer on things huh?
Fold your rear carpet (hatch/trunk area) forward. On your right you will see a silver plate with 3 or 4 screw. Take em out. Have a looksie at your sending unit.

Full of rust? We know :slight_smile: LoL. Get a new one…and rock and roll.

awesome thanks man!

hey jay get it fixed yet? That same problem happened to me too about 2 years ago. Found corroded connections on the top of the sending unit. Drilled hole in the top and ran the wires right through that. seal it all up with some rtv. The connections didn’t look that bad, but testing with a meter told a different story.

kyle man whats the deal with your car? I see it sitting beside your work every day… not given up on it have you?