walbro 255 installed, fuel pump fuse keeps blowing

I just installed a new walbro pump, the engine gets fuel but the fuel pump fuse blows after 5-6 seconds of running.

Any ideas? i’m running low on 10Amp fuses this way.

how were the connections on the sending unit? it’s a normal thing to find, and usually you ignor it casue the car ran fine before hand. Well if thats the case, thats your problem.

Either that, or it’s drawing to much power for somereason, or not properly grounded.

i’m betting it’s the not properly grounded issues, which brings me back to the wires on the sending unit.

I’m going to try re-connecting the two wires going to the pump itself, i don’t think they were properly connecting. I’ll post back with results.

The wires on the top of the sending unit seem fine, and i just re-connected both lines going to the pump. I put it all togther, same result. Car starts, 6-7 seconds later dies and fuse is blown.

Any other ideas?

take a voltake meter to the fuse terminal, set it to continuity and see if it beeps…if it does, your power wire is grounding out.

i still honestly think it’s a bad grond that casuing it to pop

The last time i started it, i quickly moved it back on my drive way, and kept the revs up (around 3gs) and it didnt stall out on me for a good 15 seconds, untill i let the rpms drop to around idle, then i died.

Too much power to the fuel pump maybe? I’ll probably get a hold of a voltmeter later on tonight, but what grounds should i be checking? i looked for anything amiss and didnt find anything. Also, for the harness connection ( the blue one under the metal plate with screws outside of the tank), is it normal for the insides of the connector to be covered with some white substance?

white grease, or white/blue powder?

white grease is dialegtrode grease. powder is bad.

looks like grease… Are there specific ground points i shoudl be checking? I’d rather not setup the stock fuel pump again tomorrow…

I’m still waiting on the voltmeter.

Buddy came with a voltmeter, and my buddy had the idea to use a bigger amperage fuse… We used a 15A fuse instead of the 10A fuse for the fuel pump. The car runs fine with it, fuse doesnt blow out, and we checked the amperage at it, 13.0, 12.9 when revving it up.

Seems to work allright, i’m just worried that i’ll hurt the wiring components and cause and electrical fire. My buddy’s theroy is that the new pump requires a lot more energy, so the 10A fuse keeps blowing.

Any thoughts?

pretty sure walbros are rated at 14 amps

putting a 15amp fuse in should be fine, if it worries you, and you’ve tested the electrical, so run a larger wire back there, say a 12ga or larger to accomidate the greater load. But if it was just the higher amperage pull the factory wiring should be more than adiquite to deal with the extra few amps.

walbros draw higher amperage than stock pumps obviously since it pushes much more fuel. best thing to do is run heaviler wire back like lucky said and you might aswell put a nice little switch inline aswell as an added security feature.

Thanks for the replys. I took the car out for awhile tonight, it seems to be fine, no issues, car didnt explode.

I was just worried because i’ve never seen anyone mention using a bigger Amp fuse when installing this pump, but it seems like there is no issue. I may run the bigger gauge wire as well.

Thanks for the input.

I blew my first 10amp fuse, so I switched to a 15amp and no more problems since.