GARAGE PROJECT, tokyo drift style :)

friend has a house with a 2 post in it. His situation is a bit extreme though. His house is designed with a regular 3 car garage, but there’s an extra garage door inside the garagedoor that leads to a 2-story high room. He put a 2 post in there and there’s a another garage door in the same room leading the backyard. pretty balling.

Solution: knock down some walls and put some new ones up so you can load a 2 post into your living room or something?

iunno, but when u getting this up and running:P. before summer or in the fall time?

i know quite a few shops that park cars under cars on a 2 post lift… if it’s safe enough that you trust it’s not gonna fail and kill you, why wouldn’t you trust it to hold your car above another car? any quality lift locks into place and unless your an idiot putting your car on it it’s not ever gonna fall off… buy a 2 post and use if for both problem solved

yea, my highschool shop did that with 2 posts, and my friend’s house is doing that right now too. Is there any kind of insurance you can buy on those lifts inase they turn out to suck and drop a car onto another?

lol randy who said you were allowed over?

LMFAO… hehehehehe. im always alllowed oveR:P

uh yeah sure buddy you beleive that…?
lol anyways
after looking in the garage, and doing some sketches/ quick measurments, a 2 post 4 point won’t work unless the widths on them is variable.
i emailed the company with my working space so we’ll see how that goes.
worst come to worst, the 4post roll on hoist fits in my garage easy, so i’ll at least have my storage space.

I’ve seen a lift like that in action, my buddies dad puts his C5 up for the winter and parks the thunderbird underneath…

But considering this is a standard design, saying you saw the “same one” is a bit of a stretch, unless you meant the same style.

you guys make good points, i’ve seen alot of mechs hoist up one car and park another one underneath that way they can work on both and rack in the monies… haha. So yes a 2 post hoist is perfectly capable, and also would work for storage use as well.

In the case of the 4 post drive on hoist, the ease there is that you don’t really have to think much you just drive it on and hoist. Where as with the 2 post hoist, sometimes you make mistakes and set up the lift points wrong. It happens, even to mechanics.

But if you’re totally confident and have no problem using proper lift points then 2 post by all means. It’s personal preference I guess.

for example, my garage isn’t so much gonna be used to store more than one car. It’s more going to be a place to work on my car over the winter and what not. Therefor I would wanna go for the 2 post just cause it’s soo much easier and better to work on the car.

ps. if you get a drive on hoist, fork out the cash for an alignment machine too and let us all come use it. haha!

Jon

+1

dude… what are u talking about point hoists arnt safe?!?

know what your talking about

used proporly there just as safe as a drive on. they have lock stops so there is no possiblity of it falling. anyone who has actualy used a hoist can tell you that the point ones are easyer to work with by a billion times and just as safe

drive on one are just about only good for putting tools on and muffler work.

space? your a tool.

tell me how a 2 post takes up more room?

http://spsautobody.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Picture_237.114231856_std.jpg
http://www.behlmann.net/images/oops/lift5.jpg

point and case

2post is only unsafe if you have no idea where you’re jacking up from and where to support the weight.

http://www.my914-6.com/crap/PICT0077.JPG

^^ hahaha! true! that’s jokes, i’ve seen a guy drop an isuzu rodeo off a hoise… bashed the spare tire through the trunk floor… lol

Jon

i work on monday ill get the number for our hoist guys and post it up monday night

i never said i wasn’t confident in a 2post, and what i meant about space was acctually unclear, my mistake.
i meant the clearance of my dads maxima’s door.
i’ve seen shops hole up cars on the 2 posts, and i’ve seen where they lift my s13 from so i’m pretty confident that i know where to balence it.

wow hmmm im building my garage in the fall this has inspired me to get a hoist for it my dads got a 2 point in his garage he parks his 1970 pro street chevy chevelle above his 05 slammed chevy short box and its only a 2 point as long as you use the proper points to ballance the car right and the locks there should be no problems what so ever i say go with the 2 point youll be happy with the money you have saved and youll have an easier life on being able to both work on your cars and in space saving.