Gary Burch's Loose Oil Filter Fix (DSM Related)

[quote=“BrockwayMT,post:16,topic:35280"”]

Nice plan. I’m not sure if the bolt will end up in the same place when you tighten it again though. Not that it matters the jam bolt will still hold it.

I think if it was me I’d just clean it out real good with brake cleaner to be rid of all the oil. Then I’d put that cooler bolt in with Loctite 640 retaining compound (green shit for bearing races and sleeves). That bolt won’t come out then.

[/quote]

Well I have done it on 2 cars and had no problem seeing the indent for the jam bolt. My writeup doesn’t say to retorque the bolt it says to tighten until you can see the indent.

Also the loctite idea doesn’t work its been tried before by me and many others. The consistent vibration, heat cycling, and changing of the oil filter will eventually back it out.

[quote=“VANDIT,post:18,topic:35280"”]

did you have to put some sort of RTV on the bolt to keep it from leaking???

or does the oil not run through there??

anyways great write up! =)

[/quote]

No rtv needed; the red loctite is sufficient for sealing the jam bolt, because chances are by the time you are ready to restart the car the loctite will have fully set up. The oil really doesn’t flow well down between the threads of the housing and the oil cooler bolt.