Gas prices

In NY are gas stations providing a cash discount for gasoline purchases?
Most companies in MI are offering 10 cents off for cash purchases.

Granted you can get 3% cash back from most cards on $4 = 12 cents so I am still paying with credit.

Are they doing this in NY?

It gets really annoying when the sign says $3.99 and you pull up and the price is $4.09 and they had a small sticker on the sign that said cash only.

not to my knowledge

id be happy with just 4.09.

It was 4.27 in henreitta yesterday.

yes I have heard of some that are.

The new gas station in Henrietta (the one that carries E85) gives a 5 cent discount per gallon for using cash. They take cash right at the pump too, which is nice. I put in a $20, and it does the thinking for me.

Problem is they advertise the cash price on the signs and when you pull in it’s different.
Some use the mid grade slot to post the credit price, but unless you stare at it you don’t see the cash and credit signs.

I thought this was illegal for some reason in NY…

Its still only 5 - 10 cents difference, so its not like it will break the bank if you make the mistake to not read it properly. At the most 2 dollars difference, and thats absolute worst case scenario, 10 cent mistake over 20 gallons.

not that I’ve seen yet, Cheektowaga, Amherst, Tonawanda…

sounds slightly shady, so I’m sure when this comes to BLo that someone will sue.

jims truck stop on walden has been doing it with diesel for a long time

Its just a push to use cash, so that they don’t have to pay the credit card fees.

from some quick research it looks like it’s legal but must be clearly noted.

It’s a gray area. It is illegal for gas stations to charge more for credit card purchases in NY.

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/ogco2006/rg060907.htm

Gen. Bus. Law § 518, which states that:

"No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a holder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check, or similar means.

Any seller who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars or a term of imprisonment up to one year, or both."

So offering a discount for cash purchases is pretty much the same thing. It would certainly end up in court, which is why it probably hasn’t happened around here yet.

According to this NY dealers are doing it as well

It is though, 3 miles from me, at the new gas station they just opened up.

What would be the point of this? I remember the Red Apple on millersport has lower prices for credit card purchases.

Why would they promote slow cash sale for someone to walk in unless their idea is to get them in the store to buy something.

haa! so it is illegal… good find.

Yes smoking joes is doing cash discount, so is knolls mobile in amherst.

Wooo .

So how long before one of these stations end up in court?

smoking joes might be a different story with it being on a reserve.

They offer the discount because of 3%+ fee the CC companies charge.