Gear grinding....

I have noticed that sometimes (I am not able to clearly say when) my 3rd shift will grind the gears. (ie 3rd gear) I have trid shifting fast, shifting normal and shifting super slow and nothing helps it. I have even tried double clutching into 3rd and that seems to fix it about 85% of the time. I am wondering what is going on, and how can I fix it? And just as I was parking right now, puting the car in reverse and moving back brings a meatal on metal grinding noise (like worn out pads on roters). I highly doubt it is the breaks, b/c my foot was not on the breaks, and it has not been a progressive thing. It just happened all of a sudden. I will see if the same thing happens tomorrow. Any ideas…solutions?..

Also, KA trannies don’t like to shift above 7,000rpm, if you are shifting that high, don’t!

Your grinding noise when backing up is almost definatly the rear brake pads dragging, both my race car and my street car do the exact same thing. I thought it was th alack of shims in teh race car until teh street car started doing it. I’ve no idea why they do it, it doesn’t seem to effect anything, and I’ve checked and there’s nothing wrong. To convince yourself that this is what it is put gentle pressure on teh brakes while backing up and it’s making the noise, it will stop.

-Martin.

Yea my previous 240sx did this. I put shims in, took them out, played with the sliders a lot, replaced the pads, rotors etc. didn’t really find a solid solution.

my car did it too. I got angry and locked the rears is reverse going 50. Cleared it up and then it came back. I think it has to do with the pads seating. My pads are new. Old pads didn’t do it.

Okay good, so I am not the only one with this kind of grinding noise happening when I reverse. The weird thing is that it only happens everynow and then, not all the time.

And I am guessing from people’s posts that there isn’t really anything that can be done about it?