General NYS inspection and OBD2 question

Thats what I just said. It’s like plugging in another car to run one that has a CEL on. The inspection will run and issue a sticker, but not to shortly after you will get a visit from DMV officials and trust me that sucks. Something similar happened to a coworker. There were 2 vehicles lined up to be run through the computer that both would legit pass, he accidentally plugged both in and when the VIN didn’t jive on the second vehicle we got a visit a couple weeks later. Not too sure who else other then myself and Jon on here that are actually licensed inspectors, but trust me I’ve had plenty of first hand experience with these matters.

Further more not to argue with Jon I could be complete wrong, but here goes. As far as I know PCM swapped vehicles on 99 and down vehicles are still passing without issue. IE a friend of mine as a 98 ranger splash originally 4 cyl swapped to a 4.0 6 cyl. ECM is a 99 so again no VIN recognition for NYSI (as far as I know). Therefore I would speculate that you might be able to use a 99-00 LS PCM to control the LS2??? I’m not sure what would work with what, thats a question for J Daniels. The long and short of it is still that it’s technically illegal to chevy V8 swap the car and you would need somebody to do you a favor every year to pass it. Moral of the story being find a clean 96 or older chassis if planning a swap.