gettin to be that time of year again, summer tires

was just doin a lil searching on tirerack, trying to see whats out there/new. i want to run 265/40/17’s in the rear. currently the car is riding on falken ziex’s all around, 235’s in the front and 255’s in the back. i want somthing thats gonna offer good traction, but doesn’t have to be hardcore because i’ll just mount some track tires on my stock rims for that.

should i just stick with what i have? i’ve never driven with the ziex’s (they came on the rims i got) but i dunno how well they’re gonna hold up to the power. any input/personal experiences welcome :tup:

For normal diving, I’m not really sure. I run Nitto Extreme 555s on the front with decent results. My rears are DR’s so they won’t be of much help to you.

how do DR’s feel at highway speeds? they feel pretty floaty?

i ran nitto 555’s on the ///M and i was actually very impressed…tread wear was pretty good…and traction impressed me the most. I got these at a great deal…thought they would be ok…but they handled very very nice on some tracks…

just get the supercars on the back and azenis on the front…you wont be driving it much

all the types of DR’s that i had never had the “balloon” effect like a slick.

id talk to jnj about tires, he seems to have the best prices.

ask firehawk853 nittos were a great choice. i imagine u will put down some decent power. i wouldnt use ziexs there not the best for straightline traction.

anybody ever run DR’s on the front of a FWD car and have decent in the rain performance?

hmm i’ll look into those then too. i know mixing tire brands isn’t the best idea, but how “bad” would it be to keep running the ziexs up front? for street/highway use

it wont be horrible…i wouldnt do any auto-x or anythign with them…i wouldnt worry to much for DD

it wont be to much of a issue as long as the tires r not cupped feather or worn excessivly daily driving will be fine

yea the fronts are brand new. and chris, if i auto-x them i’ll have some different tires on my stock rims anywho :slight_smile:

My Nitto DRs sure did, but not to the same extent; and they never will, the extra poly layers prevent the large balooning effect of slicks.

All DR’s I’ve noticed are very picky on tire pressure, and the lower seems to be the better when it comes to what I’ve noticed; heck I run mine at 18-19psi cold, and they still got balder than a fat 40y/o down the middle in no time, even with an awesome launching contact patch.

bad azz told me as they start to lose tread traction gets better. iam waiting for chuck to chime in as he put alot of launches on his this summer

:word:
rubber looses its “hockey puck” feel.

anyone have any experience with the toyo t1r’s ?

I have the T1-S.

I know it’s not the same, but if it’s any consolation, they work pretty well for me. I auto-x’ed on them this past summer and found them a little louder and harder than my previous SP9000’s (which I prefer over just about any tire, really).

If you are going to have r-comps or a high performance tires on a set of rims why does it matter what you have on the street. (instead of tires I apply this theory to car :P) Even if you get good street tires you aren’t going to be going 10 10ths the whole time. Ziex’s will serve their purpose 98% of the time.

I will defenetly agree with that, new Nittos do not hook as well as ones with a few burnouts on them.

i’m going to need something big this season…