Good Car For Racing

mang, i was talking to hotrodkid ~

it all comes down to whatever the kid wants :stuck_out_tongue:

lol ahh ok

i agree, its him that buying this car, not me, or anybody else.

If it came down to what I want then I wouldnt have come here for help.

But it is my decision. The best scenario is giving me a list of cars that look nice (not old guy nice, high school kid make fun of the kids that brag that they drive their moms new cars nice) that is fast and can beat the kids with eclipses at my school. $6,000 max. Year, Make, Model, Complete Mod List. A list of all those things would be PERFECT and I would be very happy. Please no nitrous.

my guess on this “kid” is troll from ubrf.

Based on what i’ve read, i think probably your best bet ( and i can’t believe im saying this) is an early 90’s model Mustang 5.0. Because you are just getting into the car scene, a motor swap is not a good idea for your first car. There are a lot of things that you need to be learned before jumping into all that. adding boost ( turbo, supercharger, nitrous) isn’t a great idea either, but you always could down the road and a mustang would be more then capable of handling that. Lots of people can help you out with the mustang and like jack said, parts are cheep.

nah… i don’t think trolling NYSpeed.com would be a good idea for them

manual is more fun dude, dont get an automatic. you are a kid, you want to have fun :stuck_out_tongue:

also there is a theory you should be aware of, the theory of speed vs reliability vs cost

you can either have
speed and reliability, but its gonna cost a lot
speed at low cost, but you wont have any reliability
or low cost and reliability, but you won’t have speed

its up to you to decide what LOOKS good enough for you to want to drive for awhiel and make fast. Lots of cars will be quick enough for you

i think you just need to join more car specific forums, read up on the cars that look good to you, and then figure out what you want to do.

im sure if you list the cars you are interested in, someone can give you links to good forums about the cars that you could read more about

There is a bunch of cars that I think look good but I dont know if theyre fast stock or not and can be modded good.

manual

he could easily go supercharged too if he wants

i was simply suggesting a car that would be easy to find, be decently cheap to start with and has plenty of aftermarket to it, and GN / t-types give regals plenty of aftermarket parts for driveline / suspension

an early 80’s regal w/ a stock 350 dropped in would be easy and cheap …

but on theother hand, this sounds like a good start too

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184731112&dealer_id=56508995&car_year=1985&make=BUICK&distance=75&lang=en&max_price=&model=REG&end_year=1990&min_price=&certified=&address=14224&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=177

not bad, but for 700 bucks it prolly needs alot of body work and such.

guys remember, he is just a kid who wants a car he thinks is fast that he can race around in

not a project, its not like he has a DD he could cruise around in

Just a counterpoint - did you think of how much your insurance is going to be if you bought a mustang… or any other “faster car”

the car type did not effect my insurance at all.

I went from a trans am to a ranger, and saved 24 dollars. They said it had nothing to do with the car type, but that their rates dropped. I then went to a TSI… and it went up like 50 bux a year… cause I had 10 more speeding tickets… then back to a ranger, and my payments didn’t move. I also had a Mustang GT in that mix somewhere and again… no ill effects on my insurance (other than additional speeding tickets). Now I have 2 cars on my policy… a 96 lumina and a 92 VR4… both cost about the same to insure.

Have you tried any other forms of racing? You are a young driver, i’d say try some other stuff before you make your decision… Autox is cheap and local… bring whatever car you have now… take 1 day and see if you like it… I can almost promise you will… :shrug: you may want to get into that instead of drag racing who knows… which means you might want a diff type of car… maybe not… but either way… explore your options first…

As for what kind of car should you buy… your best bet is to either go for a ride in one or test drive one… driving a car is the best way to tell if its for you or not… not so much peoples opinions online…

you cant swap a 240 for 6k

Didnt read all this but if ya wanna go fast Camaro hands down.

i dunno i’d say its possible, if u know where to look. it’d be cutting it real close, and it wouldn’t be much more than a stock swap, but still possible

get that RX7 that was on here for $500 and then spend $3K for a complete LS1/T56 swap, buy some big tires and smoke 80% of the cars in the area. You’ll have less headaches then a swapped 240 and parts are cheap.

um…i wouldn’t exactly say its a headache at all, the motor and tranny drop right in using the stock mounts the LS1 swap into an rx7 is gonna be more involved than that. not to mention that the sr20det is a very reliable motor anyways