Got smoked by the City of Toronto

So i work around the corner from don mills and finch, where the northbound lanes of the intersection are guarded by a red light camera, and i got photographed making a right turn on a red a bit hastily.

Now, i drive this route 5 times a week for the last 2 years and on average probably 3 of the 5 times i set off the camera when turning right for whatever reason. I come home today and check the mail to find this!

So i’ve been hit with this charge twice in the past, and both times total payable fine was $220. So i’m a little confused by the total payable on the form from the city.

Q What is the penalty for running a red light based on evidence obtained by a camera system?

A The set fine for running a red light detected by a camera system is $155.00, plus a $35.00 victim surcharge. Demerit points are not issued with violations detected by the red light camera system.

So i’m filing to plead not-guilty but in the event i’m convicted can i present this webpage and have my fine lowered?

Thoughts?

Moral of the story: No more trail braking.
-cal

Sucks.

shitty man

i dont even get what happened…

what is the 44 - 42.5 = 1.5 seconds mean…

the light was red for 42.5 seconds when i came to the interesection and when i exited it was at 44seconds meaning i spent 1.5 between entering and exiting. so not enough time spent stopped?

Okay, so you turned right on a red and got a ticket for that?

Did you come to complete stop before turning? And were there any signs stating no right turn on red?

Just one more excuse, to charge for citizens for some dumb shit !!

haha the operator issued you the set fine for hamilton (260 + 60 + 5)

that, plus you were turning right with your brake lights and turn signal CLEARLY visible in the pic

fight it

I got the same ticket as well, I took it to court and got it lowered to $85 from $225

goodluck man, life’s a bitch.

my dad was comin up on a yellow but it was too late to slow down. he got on the brakes but it was too late to make the stop, so he went through. They sent him a fine with pics from the camera… saying he went through a light 0.6 seconds after it turned red.

1.5seconds of being guilty, lol…it’s just bogus crap.

fight it and get a lower charge Cal.

After speaking with others who have been charged by a camera, i was told my best bet was just plead guilty and reduce charges. And that i did. ended up spending 3.5 hours at the office to have the 325 dropped to 105.

does it affect ur driving record

I got one of these in Nov '05 in Hamilton. It doesn’t affect your driving record, its like a parking ticket since they dont know whos driving. Shitty deal tho mine was only $180. Mine also says the light was red for 0.4 seconds and I proceeded through when it was red for 0.9 secs lol. It shows your speed too, looks like you were going 27km/h, I dunno if you can fight it then… I was going 81 in a 60, I tried to beat the light.

yea. well i set off the camera again tonight on my way home from work… facepalm

I have a fear of these things. Like when making a left and someone runs the red so you get stuck in the intersection, or instances where the intersection is a bit close and the person behind you is gunning it so if you stop you’ll get slammed, but if you don’t punch it you won’t make it through because the intersection is too big. I hate those situations.

damn dude thats not good :-/ shit

Seriously Cal, you’re doing wonders to help your people conquer that driving stereotype :wink:

^ Lmfao

lol, that’s harsh but funny!! :stuck_out_tongue: