Got some stereo wiring questions - Need some help.

Hey guys, just have a few stereo wiring questions for a project that I am going to do tomorrow. I am replacing the front speakers in my car and adding a small sub to the stock system. I am adding the sub by using a “line out converter” which converts the signal in the speaker wires (going from the head unit to the speakers) into an RCA signal which I can then send to my sub. I got an LOC and I talked to the customer support at Crutchfield and they told me how to install it but I still need some more help from you guys.

I am going to tap into just the front left speaker wire to get the signal (instead of pulling from the right and left since the sub is mono and doesn’t really need two sides. The crutchfield guy said to tap into the positive and negative wires for the left front speaker and split each of these wires in-two so that I can fill all 4 inputs on the LOC. He mentioned using a “T” style tap in, but I don’t know what that means. Can anyone help me out? Also after I do the “T” tap, how do I split that wife in-two?

Sorry if this is a newb question but all I have ever done regarding car stereo is speaker and HU installs and I always had install kits and wiring harness adapters, so there was no cutting and splicing of wires.

give chaz @ First Bass a call…he’ll help ya with whatever you need

I already figured I might end up giving him a call tomorrow :bigthumb:

Anyone else? I wanted to start this around lunch time. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me a good website that shows you how to splice wires or anything like that?

did you call Chaz yet ?

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/media/t_tap_connector_big.jpg

There is your typical t tap, the existing wire would go inbetween the plastic where the groove is cutout, then you clip it together with a pair of pliars…

Then there is a slit at the end that you can slide a spade connector into that would be attached to the wires going to the LOC.

Or you can get a normal vampire tap, which you put both wires in between this plastic clip, and clip it closed.

Easy stuff

its much easier to tap into the rear speaker wires being that they usually are near the area the amp will be mounted.

Also a benefit to this is fading front to rear, typically the stock radios have a pre set equalizer built in making more highs come from the front, which means your amp will be working to discharge these unneeded frequencies, in laymen terms anyways.

another bonus is the ability to run the RCA cable from the LOC at the rear speaker, rather than routing it from the front speaker wire (usually found in the door) to the rear. only benefit to tapping into the front speaker would be if you were able to do this behind the radio, then if in the future you decide to replace that oem unit, the rca is already behind the dash

Thanks. I actually just got back from pep-boys. I got some crimp connectors and the t-taps that you mentioned. Installed the first front door speaker and I am waiting to do the second until the UPS guy comes because he will have my sub. I don’t want to get started on the second door until the sub comes since I will be wiring the LOC from the front door. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the info. The only reason that I am going from the front speakers is because I am actually mounting the sub under the drivers seat. I got a very small amplified sub from Kenwood (you audiofiles would probably be disgusted). It’s not going to be pushing out a ton of bass, but it will be good enough for me. I wanted to run the least number of wires possible and for the least amount of length.