wiring guru's - i need your input

hey guys

so im putting a cd player in my car since the oem cassette was still there

ive got everything done but minus the speakers

i had a wirign diagram of the oem cassette harness and as such tapped on of the speakers into the appropriate wires but got no sound

so now im think ill just tap into the speaker wiring itself.

will this work and how do i do it?

sorry for the shitty question but i have never touched a car stereo or speaker ever since i got into cars. its all 100% foreign to me.

Best option if it’s an aftermarket deck, just run new wires to your speakers. It’ll sound better anyway, and if the stock system has amplifiers for the speakers (like a 240) it won’t work using the factory wiring anyway.

Running new wires is simple, and if you take your time you’ll be able to hide them as well as stock. Just hook the positive and negative up the same on both ends of the wire and you should have sound.

You need to enable the factory amp… hook it up to your “amp on” wire on the deck (usually blue) You’ll have the check the S14 fsm for the colour on the car… I’m an S13 guy. :slight_smile:

the amp wire on my jensen deck is blue
the amp on signal o the gtr is a red/black wire - something was already tapped into it
or/// i may have read the pinout wrong on the top of the oem cassette player, and it could be the yellow wire that runs contant power

and dj, what do you mean positives and negatives?

on the back of my deck are the following wires

front speakers
(2) solid white - front left
(2) grey - front right

rear speakers
(2) purple - rear left
(2) green - rear right

theres two because its those kinds of wires that are connected at the middle,

i ended up splitting them and combing them to a single connection

so right now ive got 1 of each of the colours listed above for the front and rear speakers

now mind you aswell, the wiring diagram i got was for a marine jensen deck

all te other wires on the listing were the same for what i have and worked fine.
the colours thy listed for the speaker wires were the same to, so im assuming this is right.

ok im an idiot

each wire has two as i mentioned

one white, grey, green, and purple

the adjacent wire to each has a black stripe on it

so white/black, grey/black ect ect

i snipped my single connections since im assuming these ones with the black stripes are the grounded ones and the solid color ones are positive

im not so concerned with the rear speakers at the moment

i would like the fronts to be working asap

the only ones would be the door speakers right?

what should i be look for when i get them out?

in the stock harness split all the wires,
take your lets say front white wire and hold it too one of the wires and probe with the ground white/blk untill you hear sound from a peaker, mark those wires (if your smart youll just hook that up now but leave the ground beside it so u can still hear the other speakers clearly, once your done tape all the grounds to thier corisponding wires and test… check all the wires… then move onto the next.

all the speaker wires have to loop back to the CD player… like a NEG and POS have to be connected to the deck and the speaker for it to work… so its just a matter of probing for a few minutes… its how i always install stereos

once u find the speaker u want solder/tape the connection. move onto the next. try not confuse the L and R cause then your fade and adjusment will be screwy on your deck…

if ur taking out your door speakers id just check the color code of wires to it… if your replacing the speaker then run new wire along the exsisting harness or be anal like me and remove the old wire.(just remember for audio use 0% oxygen wire)

thats actually what i did

hooked up the front left speaker only to the harness (spliced into it according to the pinout ontop of the oem cassette player) and got nothing.

i know i might sound like a jack ass…

is ur cd player on, hooked up correcly? volume cranked?
like if ur lookin for radio ur antenna need be hooked up and otherwise… but asides from idiotic simplicitys im sure youve checked…

run a fresh peice of wire from the rear of the stereo right to the fuckin speaker inside the car, dont worry about hiding it or anything its just a test. cause u might have a factory amp to jump… or the pinout might just be wrong… (u never know wiring mightbe tampered with)
if you were closer to barrie id say swing by with a coffee and ill have u blastin tunes in 45min… but im sure you could find someone closer…

i personnaly never check pin outs, i just probe with hot wires LOL
thats how i fried my dimmer switch i think so i had to resoldier the TCU… oh what a fun day… story for another time…

Good luck man.

one last note… check that the deck dosent have settings for fade and balance messed with… cause if the balance is cranked to the right then you would never hear it out the left… i dunno just some more ideas…

Pretty sure I already said just run them straight from the deck to the speaker.

Anyway Matty, those doubled wires you mentioned, the grey, white, purple, and green… You were correct, the one with the black stripe is negative, and the solid colour is positive. Consult your deck instructions to decide which one is for which channel.

Run a new speaker wire, one side from the solid colour to the + on the speaker, and the other from the striped side to the - on the speaker.

Make sure you keep’em sorted out so you don’t hook the speakers up backwards, or you won’t have any luck still.

Do that for all 4 and you should be in business.

Just a side not:
if u run any wires such as power and grounds twist them together. The electrical gods will be very please with u if u do this. Makes it easier for hiding and routing and has significant effects on performance but i won’t go into details. (even if its DC which is very clean)

run new speaker wires directly to speakers.

/thread.

does R32s use the same active speaker crap that S13’s do? it never works.

Said that as the second damn post in the thread.

thanks tips, i’m just reinforcing the point so he’ll go out and do it rather than spending his time online trying to figure out how to make it work with the useless factory amp and accomplishing nothing.

thanks dj

will be doing this when i return from my trip

and for the other guys, (sorry forgot names) yes the deck works, picture for the dvd player works, volume was cranked, but got nothing out of that left speaker i hoked up

ill extend the wires and run them direct to the + and - on the speakers and let you know how it turns out

thanks a bunch guys

Right on, best of luck, and simplemind, sorry I wasn’t being a dick, just pointing out that it was covered up by a lot of not so helpful information.