Grand Prix owners. i need some help

Friend has the newest body syle GTP and is looking to make it a lil quicker. instead of me searching the GP forums i figured id ask here because there are some quick ones on the board. So what to do? i know a pulley but what else? car is 100% stock right now.

gimmie some ideas and prices please

I am assuming it’s the supercharged 3800 and not the v8?

Don’t add a pulley without supporting modifications: exhaust, intake, Tuner*, injecters maybe?

I use to use a DHP powertuner with my 96 beretta and I am fairly sure it works with that model grand prix. Real time scanning and on the fly writing via laptop.

Smaller pulley, colder plugs, to start.

Delete the U-bend in the exhaust

CAI. Stock airbox is fairly restrictive.

So exhaust to get rid of the U-bend?
Pully
Colder plugs…

whats a good exhaust? or good size pully or plugs?

04+ dosnt have a Ubend

I’d do what BigEd has. his car was going 13.8’s and I think a 13.7 NYI the other day, after we tunned it. And he as no KR now, its a great DD/faster setup. I’d keep the catback stock tho, its so nice quite allblower wine.

cut stock airbox (free)
used 3.5 press on pulley (30)
headers (you can do Downpipe, and ported, or Plog front manifold but. its only a little moreto get headers on the car, and twice the power gains)
1 step colder copper plugs
tune up.
tune. (real tune, not DIY off narrowband, and afc)

what jonny said^

have him sign up to unycgp.com

edit: dont forget about injectors. Stock ones do not support much more than what big ed runs.

places to buy shit- zzperformance.com
wbodystore.com
3800performance.com
pfyc.com

BTW, there alot of the 04+ guys out there (WNY) with full bolt ons, camed, and or intercooled still running 14’s. I acuttly think BigEd might be the fastest. lol

Big Ed was running 14.X till he used the Choko mod :lol:

Its gotta be the tuning.

He dropped the tire psi and went from 14.0 -> 13.8-7 I forget…

If your responding to me, I was talking about john’s post about other 04+'s

You are right that dropping tire psi can lead to better 60’s and drop et’s.

[quote=“num482,post:11,topic:37085"”]

You are right that dropping tire psi can lead to better 60’s and drop et’s.

[/quote]

:bsflag:

thanks guys

CAI, FWI, exh., no smaller than a 3.5" puley to start, and def. some tuning…and all the other stuff that was mentioned.

Oh and save for a trans. They dont like burnouts, abuse, or an engine making moderate powa. Some people have yet to find that out the hard way. :wink:

All these people modding GP’s now, hell, I minus whalel get a LS1 car. :slight_smile:

FWI?

oops…Fender Well Intake. They sell aftermarket kits that go for $3-400. I bought some high flow (smooth on the inside) flexable 4"diameter 5’ long hose and put a K&N 9" cone filter on it in the fender…away from all engine heat. But, it picks up quiet a bit more dirt n stuff.

ok cool. ill check. u know which ones gives the best gaines? im shure there are others better then some.

and where to get this used pulley from?

If he ever plans to go further and go even smaller than 3.5 pulley have him look into getting a modular pulley system, pick one up at ZZP for $99 (includes HUB, one pulley). That way you only press on a hub and he can switch pulleys with just 5 screws.

For a FWI its cheaper to buy tubing from home depot and a filter at autozone than it is to buy a kit. You will see nice gains and here the super charger scream.

For injectors 42# should be fine for mild to mid setups. I believe 04+ have to also get connectors.

1badgp is right about the transmission. The stock block can handle some real good power but the stock transmission cant. 2-3K for a built one.

haha ill let him worry about the tranny when the time comes. for now i was just thinking pully and intake…but u say injectors is a must so that too.

what kinda of gains are we looking @ for this setup?

also what should i go with for tuning

[quote=“Studderin,post:5,topic:37085"”]

04+ dosnt have a Ubend

I’d do what BigEd has. his car was going 13.8’s and I think a 13.7 NYI the other day, after we tunned it. And he as no KR now, its a great DD/faster setup. I’d keep the catback stock tho, its so nice quite allblower wine.

cut stock airbox (free)
used 3.5 press on pulley (30)
headers (you can do Downpipe, and ported, or Plog front manifold but. its only a little moreto get headers on the car, and twice the power gains)
1 step colder copper plugs
tune up.
tune. (real tune, not DIY off narrowband, and afc)

[/quote]

Agreed