Great read on proper oil selection for turbochargers..

oh sure i understand that, but the bearing failures on the stock frame turbochargers is why FP say’s to use the oil on the list as i’m sure you know

All good oils contain jizz from various endangered species.

I use the BMW Motorsport/Castrol TWS 10-60 in the M3. Seems to do me good, though I have yet to send out a sample.

Travis why such a heavy oil? Isn’t that fucking HORRIBLE for the thing on start up?

Unsure what to run in the Dodge… going to be something on the list but I dunno which weight now.

Anything you can buy off the shelf at your local parts store(unless of course those racing oils are on the shelf there) is pretty much on par with each other, even royal purple and amsoil have their street blends that aren’t any better than any other API certified oil. Like Travis said they all removed the additives that help reduce wear.

20W50 is totally fine for the spring/summer/fall months. It’s actually rated to flow down to -4F, but I personally would not want to start it below 32F just to be extra ‘safe’. As far as the Viper goes, if it were mine, it’d have VR1 10W30 in it, no question, or Brad Penn 10W30 if you’re like me (which I know your nasty ass is) and get that Christmas feeling when something comes in the mail lol.

EDIT-I’d use either the non-synthetic or synthetic, depending on drain intervals. (non synthetic for more frequent intervals).

Can I get the VR1 locally in 10w30??

Also, I’m running this shit in tinyturbz:

TOTAL brand oils (Formerly ELF brand) benefit from years of Formula 1 racing experience. TOTAL Quartz INEO MC3 5W30 is a high performance fully synthetic oil specifically formulated for VW pump-nozzle (pumpe-duse) TDI diesel engines and is recommended by VW in Technical Bulletin 17-05-01. INEO MC3 can also used in all other VW diesel applications for high performance use and extended drain intervals, providing provides superior wear resistance and cleanliness for improved engine life. Its resistance to sludge build-up makes it ideal for turbocharged engines and other high temperature applications. TOTAL Quartz INEO MC3 oil meets the following specs: VW 505.01, 505.00 and 502.00, BMW LongLife 04, M-B 229.31 and 229.51, ACEA A3/B4.

and will be particularly concerned about thrust bearing failure in the future. Does this oil have the correct additives to help prevent such failure or is there a better diesel oil i should be running?

EDIT: I’ve been thinking about swapping to the Rotella T6 5w30 synthetic???

Yes, Advance Auto (and most other popular parts stores) have VR1 on the shelf. Like TDI said, thrust bearing failure due to low anti-wear additives is not a global concern with turbochargers, but there is no reason not to run the better stuff (esp given the fact that VR1 is 4.50 a quart). None of the Rotellas are ILSAC GF-4 approved, so they should have the higher levels of ZDDP etc. However, I have not seen a VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) on Rotella in awhile, so I cannot verify this.

wayne, i use Rotella T6 5w-40 in mine. OG owner has since first oil change.

i dont have VR1 10w-30, but you can probably find it online for cheaper anyway

If you guys can’t find VR1 locally and are going to have oil shipped, I’d get Brad Penn from these guys-

http://theoilwarehouse.com/page/1hu83/Shopping.html

It’s the cheapest I’ve found it (after shipping).