GT-R Question

I was wondering if a Skyline GT-R with 150,000km that appears well maintained is alrighjt

Or should i keep looking for one with lower km’s like 80K-120K ?

And do you have to get an apprasal to insure it? And how much is it

What modifications? As far as insurance goes, I know it’ll need an out of province inspection (if it doesn’t allready have it).

The car is in Japan right now and it has aftermarket rims and rubber, intake, exhaust, suspension, steering wheel,turbo timer and a upgraded front mount and IC piping

But i am really worried about the engine and transmission because it has 150000kms on it

Every time I say this people accuse me of trying to inflate the price of my car so I can make money on it when/if I sell it. So, instead of taking my word for it head over to GTRCANADA.COM, spend some time looking around, and see what people have to say about cheap GT-Rs.

Sure you can get a GTR for $12,000 of $13,000 but what I have seen of GTRs in that price range leaves much to be desired.

While you could get lucky and find a gem for $13,000 you are more than likely going to get a car that will require a few grand to fix up to what you were hoping for in the first place.

The point is, if you are scraping your pennies together to buy a GT-R you will likely be happier with a less expensive car you can have fun modifying.

Last thing, kms in Japan are like kms here…people can lie. You are better to judge the quality of the car based on its condition rather than killometres. It is not uncommon for peopel to roll back the odometer to inflate the price. Fact is there are likely lots of 80,000km cars that are likely 150,000km cars in reality.

Oh, and you will definitely need to have an appraisal to get it insured for replacement value as opposed to whatever the insurance company values it.

^^^^Im with dave on this one

ha, my insurance company won’t even insure my gt-r for fire and theft without an apprasal. Good thing I toasted the motor before I did all that insurance junk. :lol:

I personally think when buying a car unless you are really lucky you get what you pay for. If you have expectations that want to be met such as low km’s then I think you’ve got to pay for it.

Good luck on the hunt.

150 000 km is ridiculous, period. A very nice gtr can be had for 13 000, i see them on auction all the time…thats with low km as well as no accidents.

I think I need to get out more because I have not see a very nice GTR for 13,000. Usually there is nothing significant in terms of damage but overall they are just tired.

Also, when I talk about price I include everthing. People tend to say " landed" and then forget to include things like getting the car from Vancouver to here, the OOP and any repairs to pass, appraisal, ergistration, etc. Most of these are not huge expenses but they do add up and usually guys that are looking for cheap GTRs are not in a position to put another few hundred or so out of their pocket for all the incidental fees and expenses that aren’t included in “landed”.

Then as soon as you get it, if you want it to last, you are best to replace every fluid in it there is and the timing belt just to be sure. Again, costs, people don’t include in “landed”.

All I am saying is it is generally better to spend a bit more money for a better car than trying to squeeze your wallet, smash your piggy bank, and beg your parents for the cheapest GTR you can find because it will cost you more later.

Well i already bought it (put an offer in last night and they accepted it, kinda having second thoughts)

I will know if its good in a couple weeks

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/2498/43511567lf3ix.jpg

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/6448/43511567n14ij.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4664/43511567n40fj.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7821/43511567n52pe.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4051/43511567n77su.jpg

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5935/43511567rr5is.jpg

And the car had the front left fender replaced due to a minor fender bender as far as i know

Man, it looks nice! I hope it works out for you!

Would you mind saying around how much it ended up costing you?

It does look like a pretty nice car Austin. Hopefully you won’t be dissapointed! :smiley:

It looks pretty good man. It appears to be in pretty decent shape. It has the stock air box so that may be a sign of few modifications.

And as a bonus the oil filter relocation kit makes it a lot more difficult for a guy to get lazy with oil changes.

Can’t wait to see it when it arrives.

Good chromey dish too…very nice.

if the splitfire sticker is true…then u might have splitfire colipacks…they are common fing for RB’s…all in all looks to be a nice cars…and the rims are advan SA3’s

I think I need to get out more because I have not see a very nice GTR for 13,000. Usually there is nothing significant in terms of damage but overall they are just tired.

Also, when I talk about price I include everthing. People tend to say " landed" and then forget to include things like getting the car from Vancouver to here, the OOP and any repairs to pass, appraisal, ergistration, etc. Most of these are not huge expenses but they do add up and usually guys that are looking for cheap GTRs are not in a position to put another few hundred or so out of their pocket for all the incidental fees and expenses that aren’t included in “landed”.

Then as soon as you get it, if you want it to last, you are best to replace every fluid in it there is and the timing belt just to be sure. Again, costs, people don’t include in “landed”.

All I am saying is it is generally better to spend a bit more money for a better car than trying to squeeze your wallet, smash your piggy bank, and beg your parents for the cheapest GTR you can find because it will cost you more later.[/quote]

I am talking about very nice 3.5 and 4.0 auction grade cars selling on japan auctions, which can be landed in calgary and out of provinced (not including any hidden surprises like tie rods etc.) with under 100km and no modifications. I see them sell all the time. Im sorry to hurt the resale value of your car, but the prices are not the same as when i bought my car or you bought yours for that matter, they have gone down a shit load. You may have to be patient to get a beauty for 13, but i can guarantee i can get one. As always there will be risks involved (same as any car bought sight unseen) but for 13 000, it is very realistic to get a very nice gtr.

Actually the grade is a 3.5

Yes I know that the cars have come down in price. That is not my point.

I just see guys all the time that have scraped together their last pennies to by a car, regardless of the make or model, and then ooops they have no money left over to keep it on the road or do what most of us like - modify it.

Compound that with the fact that GTRs are not cheap to buy parts for or even decent oil for that matter and I conclude that instead of looking for the all time deal of the century on a car, spend a few bucks more and get something that is likely to have fewer surprises or better yet, by a cheaper car and leave yourself lots cash to have fun with.

I am not trying to inflate the price of my car or any other GTR. I just hate to see it when a guy regrets pumping every dollar he can into a car just because it is a gtr, ooooooo, only to be pissed off that it costs him so much after. Buying the car is not the only expense.

Well said. I know myself that in the excitement of car shopping one can forget about the little incidentals that go into these cars. I think people need to consider the overall cost more, especially if you’re going to “enjoy” the car’s performance (ie. Bagging it at every opportunity).

I finally got my car on saturday, and after a little tinkering with the MAF it runs perfectly. The car is in awsome shape inside and out and runs very strong. The only problem i have now is my brakes are squeaky.

i will get dome pictures up tomorrow