gti-r sentra smoke???

I just bought a sentra with a gti-r swap it smokes a lot. the smoke is mostly white, but smells of oil. I drove the car 100 miles home when I got here the coolant overflow was full and the engine was guzzling the coolant, but I couldn’t be sure where from. at first it sounded like it came from the turbo then it sounded like the head… I was assuming the head gasket, but today with the engine cold I did a compression test the results were 150-150-150-150. I’m thinking my next step will be to compression test the engine hot.

one odd thing thats happening is the temperature gauge is acting weird. when I accelerate it bounces down, but it never goes above half way. I know leaking compression into the coolant passages could cause the opposite to happen. so I’m thinking the gasket is leaking, and the gauge is wired backwards.

BTW there is no mixing of fluids

Sounds like an air bubble in the coolant lines. I had the same trouble recently minus the smoke, which could be caused from it running too hot?? Also what about the thermostat?

as far as the thermostat I can’t say for sure only having the car two days, but it seems to warm up normally, and though the gauge can’t be trusted it doesn’t seem to overheat.

for a bubble in the lines if there was one I’m hoping its not combustion gasses, but where else would the car get a bubble without having taken something apart

I had a guy tell me that he had similar symptoms from leaking injector o-rings minus the gauge thing which I’m hoping is a seperate problem like a bad ground or gauge

Did you buy it locally? Is it the factory temp gauge that acts funny or aftermarket? Was it smoking more on accel or decel? Try pulling the hotpipe and see if there is evidence of oil.

I got it in maryland

its the factory tamp gauge

it mainly smokes when accelerating, but I think it has smoked on deceleration. it seems inconsistent some times it doesn’t smoke at all others it causes a smoke screen.

i’m trying to pull this fuel rail, but the 6mm hex cap screws are being a pain. I broke the allen wrench so tomorrow I’m going to hit up harbor freight for some 3/8 allen sockets

the pipe going to the intercooler? I haven’t yet, but the kid I got the car from told me there was some. if there is its probably the turbo seals huh? the thing about that is I never messed with a turbo car that didn’t have some oil in the pipes yet none smoked like this

I just found the gauge was acting up because the tab on the sensor was loose so I guess the gauge is fine…

I noticed the fuel rail hisses when the fuel pump is priming… is that normal? a bad injector maybe? anyway next I’m going to unplug the injectors and see if it still does it

I have my fuel pump on a toggle and I can run it with the engine off. Mine makes a hissing sort of noise too which is probably just the sound of the fuel circulating through.

I just checked on my se-r and there is no noise…

it still hissed with the injector wiring disconnected. BTW this hissing is quite loud . next I’m going to swap around injectors to see if I can move the sound. it will I don’t have the time right now so it will have to wait till tomorrow.

do you know what stock gti-r injectors look like? mine are silver with yellow tops

Since you are in the neighborhood I would just run down to Harbor Freight and pick up a $2 mechanics stethoscope, it might be easier to listen to them first instead of changing them around.

Yeah I think the stock gtir inj are yellow.

thats a good idea, but I can already tell it sounds like the first one on the rail maybe I’ll pull the plug to see if i smell gas.

well switching around injectors changed nothing.

today I changed oil from 10w30 synthetic to 20w50 dino juice, and the smoke changed to more a blueish also the car smells different, and now smokes consistently on acceleration. next I’m going to pull the o2 sensor to see if there is any oil also might take off the intake and check for shaft play. the turbo is probably about 15 years old so it wouldn’t be much a surprise if its leaking

Did you check the intercooler pipes for oil on the inside? Also check the exhaust tip for oil sludge.

charge pipes have a ton of oil, the exhaust has soot its getting all over the bumper, and trunk no sludge though

the turbo is shot… there is over 1/4 of play in and out it also doesn’t spin very good.
is it possible that the turbo is so worn that it can’t be rebuilt or will need more parts that will cost more money than its worth?
what would be a good direct fit ball bearing upgrade?

If it just has a T-25 on it, you can get another one for around $150. Or you can use the nissan T-28 ballbearing that came on the later model silvias which is a very nice upgrade. Those can be had for $500 range.

its a t28, but not the ball bearing model it supposedly has better top end than the silvia t28 so I would rather stick with it

If you already have a stock t-28, then a good direct bolt in upgrade would be the GT2871. You can easily make over 340 whp with one and still have the ultra fast spool up.

I took the compressor housing off… it looks like there has been a little contact
this one isn’t going to be worth rebuilding right?
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1042/dscf0346mw3.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/656/dscf0347bo9.jpg

Contact on the housing usually means its junk. Thats too bad b/c the GTi-R turbo is the best t28s out there, its good for over 325whp. If you end up tossing it save the exhaust housing for me please b/c mine has a couple of cracks :slight_smile:

I’ll probably get the gt2871r like 132 suggested

Contact on the housing usually means its junk. Thats too bad b/c the GTi-R turbo is the best t28s out there, its good for over 325whp. If you end up tossing it save the exhaust housing for me please b/c mine has a couple of cracks

its cracked?? how?? I’ll trade it to you for some b14 se-r wheels :slight_smile: