Water leaking near turbo...

On the QEW on the way back from teh west end, temp starts to climb, check my fans, there on. Temp still climbing, throw heat on, pull over immediately.

Temp never reached “H” hot. or anywhere close for that matter.

I pop the hood, and realize coolant in burning near the turbo, touch the rad, its cold, i open it up its empty, coolant over flow is at the fill mark :S

Where is this water leaking from. its never leaked before, Ive never seen it on the ground. Did i blow my turbo, something worse??

So i had it towed home, most of the coolant leaked out.

I just put more coolant in, funny thing though.

I have the bleeder screw out, and as i am filling the rad, the rad fills up first before any fluid comes out the bleeder. In the past i always had fluid coming out before i could look into the rad and see water.

Leads me to believe maybe the thermostat is stuck closed and because of that the system had abnormally high pressure that made one of my coolant lines to the turbo leak…yes/no? im crazy?

Whats the best way to find out exactly where it was leaking, air pressure test?

EDIT:
Also, i have the stock temp sensor but i also have a another temp sensor reading from the coolant neck where the bleeder screw is located.

I was closely watching both these gauges before i pulled over, the car wasn’t overheating, or i should say the water temp wasn’t overheating.

Now say all the coolant was gone, can these sensor take an accurate reading without any water… so rlly because coolant was leaking out, my car could have actually been overheating?

I’m thinking the thermostat is stuck closed or you have a head gasket leak, It may also be a collapsed hose or another type of restriction. if you are saying that there is high pressure, then i would say an interior headgasket leak is more likely. Myself personally i would check the hoses to see if i see any hard brittle or collapsed mushy hoses, replace them. Then throw in a thermostat and run it, watching the temp gauge. If it does the same thing (assuming that you have all the air out) then I would do a pressure test. That being said if you just cant seem to get all of the air out, or if the pressure of the coolant remains high then I would use an exhaust gas analyzer probe (drive clean machine for example), remove the rad cap and hold it over the opening while the car is running to see if there is any exhaust gasses coming out of the coolant, if there is then you definately have a headgasket leak or crack in the block.

As for the temp sensor readings, I believe that one of the sensors is for coolant temperature the other is for a low level light usually, either that or it is to tell the oxygen sensors when to go into closed loop. Either way the one that is hooked to the dash gauge is almost always located at the lowest point of the cooling system, so it always has coolant on it, but the coolant doesnt circulate or distribute heat well when there is a low amount of coolant so you may have hot pockets.

i got my money on head gasket or thermostat like i said last night!! keep us posted!! very nice car i must say!

Alright i think im going to change teh thermostat first, anyone have the part number for an S14 Sr?

Can the KA thermostat be used?

found the leak, its the coolant line feeding to the turbo, its the actually bolt on the turbo.

It looks like a bitch to get too, bolt is way back there, facing the block :frowning:

I still dont understand why all of a sudden this happened??

shit breaks…

lost my money dang!! well i hope you get it fixed soon

So this is whats happening now :(.

So after waiting for new lines, i finally get them today.

I take the mani and turbo off once again…and all the other lil shit thats in its way.

I install the new lines, i didnt use teflon tape but i used a sealer, similar to locktight. i tightned everything pretty good.

Get all the stuff back on, start the car and oil is coming out the bottom. oops i forgot to attach the oil return line, car was idling for 15 secs before i noticed. Figured the engine is fine as it was very little oil.

Attach that back up.

Start the car, Idle is good, but as the car gets warmer i see smoke from down by the turbo i figure its just burning some shit off from when i worked on it. After prob 2 mins its still smoking (not to heavy but noticeably)

I immediately look at where the line feeding water attaches to the turbo, as this was my last problem, i dont see it leaking…

i then turned the car off, left it for an hour. started it and after warming up just a little it started smoking again. looked for leaks, nothing. looked under the car nothing.

Reved the engine a little hoping water would spray down there, nothing. Car makes boost.

left for a couple hours tried it again, and still its smoking this time i let her idle for 5 mins approx. Steady smoke, doesnt increase with revs.

Is it burning off the oil, from when it was leaking. is it burning the sealer i was using.

Would this stuff burn for that long?? im affriad to let it idle for to long or even drive her :frowning:

Im getting frustrated and about to put her away early.

When i did head work to my motor and got my messy hands all over the manifold and turbo it smoked and stunk for a 10-15 minute drive.

If its just smoke from the engine bay and nothing appears to be leaking id take it for a test drive and check up on the motor periodically…Bring a jug of coolant and you should be able to see the coolant flowing with the rad cap off, but only do this after a short warm up or you may get owned by hot coolant and make a mess.

yeah the smoke is def. coming from the turbo, by what i saw looks like its comnig from underneath.

Im guessing its the oil that was leaking before and now its burning off…

I think im just going to test drive it, check on it in the first mins of driving… there’s not much i can rlly do…