h22 v.s. b18

after alot of contemplating i’ve decided that i’m gonna do a swap instead of turboing my daily driver (1999 honda civic ex)

so let me know what the + and - of an h22 is and also do the same with a b18c1

i want an obd2 so it will pass inspection and i’m not planning on doing much more to it besides i/h/e.

goal: have a daily driver that runs faster than a 16.6 and can be reliable and street legal.

I’ve put H22’s in everything I possibly can. They’ll cost you less in the long run over a GSR and they make 30 more hp and like 40 more lbft of tq. The more daunting task is the installation. I’ll never put a B in anything after running H’s.

now everyone else can recommend teh b over the h…

go with a 3sgte!

H22 = more hp, more tq, guaranteed to leak oil and develop an erratic idle, also guaranteed to beat the crap out of a B18C1

Have the H-swaps really dropped in price enough to claim they are really cheaper than a B? From my experiences once you add in a mount kit and other misc. semi-custom parts needed for the swap the H set-up is around the same price as a basic gsr swap (not including labor as the H-swap is definitely a good bit more work overall than a B series).

Also while the H generally produces better power with equivalent bolt-ons to a B-series, finding the parts for the H is a lot more difficult than a B-series.

:bsflag:
There’s nothing I’ve ever looked for with an H that I haven’t been able to find. The only case where this may be true is with used performance parts, as you can swap across the B family and the H is really all by itself.

When using the “a lot” part I was thinking mainly of used parts as the used market for B-series stuff is huge (as damn near anything can be found while still staying local). Although when it comes to new parts, the H series does at time get ignored or else applications directed to the H are/were late to come to market and/or are less often stocked thus leading to longer delivery times.

h22 are good motors for what you want. If you are goin to build one up for turbo/supercharger i would say b series. H22 are very tempermentle when built.

If you’re not boosting, I think H is a good choice. Especially if you can find an H on the cheap. An H with some N/A massaging can be a very nice setup.

OTOH, if you want to rev it to 9500 and boost the shit out it, go B with sleeves :smiley:

Being a prelude owner, i would definitely say the h22. It is harder to build one up and may not always be very cost effective, but if you have the time and money, it is totally worth it imo. The other negative about the h22 is that minor mods like i/h/e show very very minimal gains, and to actually get any decent gains from them, you will have to spend a decent chunk of money or go custom.

B series all the way…without a question…11.87 stock ls motor on street tire. there is not one H even fully built on this board going anywhere near that!

and if someone wants to agure all motor to all motor. I went 14.0@100 with stock GSR in a hatch and all of the H22 hatches i know went 14.1@98

Granted i went 14.0 on snow tires with 3 passes under my belt… with experance there is not a doubt i can get it towards the 13.40 mark with the tire and newer driver mod.

in a prelude/accord go with an H

but integra/delsol/civic/crx. I would go with a B without a question…

I have been down both roads many times…

there was a guy on preludepower who put an h22 into an ek, some mods but i dont think it was anything crazy, definitely no turbo or supercharger, and was running low 13’s high 12’s

anyway, all the OP wants is something faster than “16.6” for a daily driver. i dont think he is going to be doing much drag racing. I think he would be more happy with an h22 with price, reliability(which really isnt a problem with either), and the hp and torque output

@hycomp
Ive never had any trouble finding parts for an h22. there maybe less, but not to the point where it is hard to get a certain part or mod

I think the H is going to be more fun to drive in general, but a B swap into your chassis is certainly easier, so it’s something to consider if you aren’t comfortable doing the work yourself. A B18C1 is no slouch and you’re not gonna have any problem getting it to move a civic.

If you go H, you will be like “damn i should have just put a gsr swap in it”

I know i said it before haha,

H’s are for preludes and accords

i’d say b series all the way… turbo a ls… there not to much money and they love boost… but i’d rather have a gsr… parts r a little easier to come by… but i guess h22’s r coming more common as we speak… but if u wanna go fast 4 cheap ls turbo is the way…

I’ll agree with Joe, but there is another view. What you intend to do with the car is key.

If you intend to drag or DD the car, H-series is fine if that’s what you want to run.

If you intend to take the car onto the track, be it auto-x or road racing, the B-series will win hands down. An H is heavier, which will upset the already disadvantageous balance of a civic/integra. Also, unless you h-to-b, your tranny will be geared for shit.

Otherwise do what you want.

I’ve done at least 8-9 h22 swaps and have never once said that. :kiss:

The H has been proven to be 35lbs heavier, not enough to add one percent to the weight balance. The H will pull out of corners much better, require less down shifting and still rev in stock form.

The only thing that really does suck is its aluminum sleeves, but even so people have proved to make very big hp on stock bottom ends. If you are going to build a big enough hp motor to need to sleeve a B, then just sleeve the H and have .4 more liter.

…I understand I’ll never win, i just have a problem liking what people hate :embarassd

Given the type of driving you do, I’ll say this: 35-50lbs (estimated full swap difference between b and h) is a HUGE deal. Aside from rotating weight, there isn’t a WORSE area to add weight in a Honda (over the nose, in an already chronically understeering chassis). It may be minor to some, but not to everyone. Not trying to argue…