Hello & GTR questions

Just thought I’d make a quick post to say hello. I’m a new member of the forum, and looking at pickin up an R32 GTR in the (hopefully near) future. I’ve done a bit of reading on it, but as I’m currently a Subaru guy I’m not sure what specifically are the issues when looking at buying this vintage of GTR.

1.) What are the common issues with 15y/o GTRs to look for? Rusted out suspensions? Gaskets?

2.) I’m a bit uneasy about buying and importing a car that’s in Japan because I’d never get a chance to go over it or have it impartially inspected before actually paying for it, and am planning on waiting until a nice example becomes available in Canada (seems like there are quite a few). Has anybody got any tales (good or bad) about going either the import or local purchase route?

3.) What REALISTICALLY are the maintenance costs like on those cars? Are they fragile at this age or will a high mileage example that was cared for be a reasonable hobby without requiring a new mortgage? No car is ‘cheap’ I know, but I don’t want to take on an already sinking ship. I’m currently rolling around in a stage2 Legacy 2.5GT and it’s a bitch to buy aftermarket parts for since the market and therefore parts selection is quite limited (you know, compared to say a WRX or a Civic).

For what its worth I’d be looking to spend about $15-16k on an example. Preferably blue. :slight_smile:

Anyways that wasn’t a ‘quick’ hello at all, but hopefully I’ll get to talk to some of you in the spring if I see your cars around and pick your brains. I’m a big fan!

Hey, welcome. I can try to answer some questions but being a GTS-T owner I can’t fill them all.

Rust is not a big issue on most of these cars if you pick up the right one. There will be issue’s(i.e Faded paint, dented panels, scratches, dings, normal wear and tear)seeing how it is 15 yrs old you gotta understand it isn’t perfect.

1. These guys import cars, some for a living, to make money. They would not just pick a random car and bring it here, it gets inspected, looked over and checked to make sure it’s in good condition. For each happy customer you gain another potential customer, for each unhappy one you lose multiple. Importers, stay away from Tigerdirect thats all I can say.

2. Taxes; get ready to pay some when you car arrives, I payed around $1500. E-test and safety also take some time and money. Fluid changes are needed, most have been sitting. Change the anti-freeze, engine oil, brake fluid, Transfer case, differential fluid etc…GTR will most likely need an oil filter relocation kit if not equipped with one.

Aftermarket parts are also quite pricey because of the limited places to get them. In most cases check out websites(North American Website) of a company and you’ll notice Nissan Skyline isn’t even an option.

$15-$16 might not get you the greatest Skyline and would leave you with little to maintain it, which I suggest highly not doing.

PFF **** GTR’s buy my GTS-4 its got the benefits of the GTR’s ATTESSA system with the BALLER engine of the RB20 … RB20 is by far a superior engine … the most free reving engine nissan made (arguably of course) and you dont have to worry abotu spinning a bearing every time you rev over 7-8k rpm liek you do with the RB26

if you need help finding a skyline let me know. i can help you out. ive already helped 3 people here find skylines.

Thanks for the replies!

If 15-16k is a bit too low, then what sort of price range then would be a fair price, for a well maintained mechanically sound Skyline? I’ve been circling the classifieds on this (and other) nissan forums like a vulture and it seems like most folks are selling the nice looking ones around 15-20k. Most come with rims, BOVs, etc though. I don’t mind it coming mostly stock and upgrading it myself over the years, I prefer that actually - I would much prefer it be a solid running car rather than a pretty decked out but beaten one.

assass1n - cheers mate, I will probably take you up on that. I won’t be looking to drop bills until summer though probably. I’m feelin the red on yours though, dag. =)

Another question, how are these things to insure? I currently have an … uhh… ok record… haven’t gotten into too much trouble that my insurance knows about, but I’m 26, live downtown, and the big companies and bank insurers leer at me. Do the big companies even insure these imported cars or do you have to go with a broker or a small-town company to get them covered?

funny thing is im actually thinking of selling it. :wink: