Help me decide: Springs vs Coilovers

i think u made the right choice for yourself by buying the springs.

You’ll be happy with the springs for sure especially if you’ve read good reviews and they’re designed for oem struts. A lot of places make shitty springs that are too stiff for your shocks and/or drop the car too much. That ride height should be fine for winter also

lol

THE MASTER IN THE FIELD HAS SPOKEN!

:clap

you do realize there’s no real difference between a spring/strut combo and a coilover right?

Yesssssss! Thanks for not going with the “forum approved” coil overs and choosing the springs instead

hence the quotation marks

:rofl

what

‘forum approved’ coilovers. I was planning to go with BC Racing coilovers and some members said they were crap, while one (or more) member(s) actually run them on their car and claim they are fine.

gotcha. So he doesnt think real coilovers are a waste of money, just shitty ones. That I agree with. BC is okay but overall prob won’t last too long in the NE. My PBMs need to be taken off already and cleaned properly after one season of spraying salt all over them lol. My ASTs and old GCs take that shit like a boss

Have to remember there is a much smaller market for the M unless you’re willing to spend $4k, which I am not lol. Hence the springs.

I’m in the same boat with my Q. It’s either mediocre coils for 1000-1300 or 3k+ for good ones lol that’s almost how much the car cost

People knock air all the time but for something that is a daily and needs to be practical its the best solution out there. The ride quality is often BETTER than stock at much lower than stock heights. And the ability is there to air it out so you are catching your frame rails on pebbles driving around if you choose to like low low static boys like to do, but without the hassle.

As with anything doing it right has its costs. You can toss some springs under it and be happy with it for a week then want more. Then chance struts dieing prematurely too. Or put decent coilovers in it and have a stiff, bouncy ass ride and have to mess with jacking the car up to make adjustments. Or spend about the same as you would for a decent air setup, on coilovers with rebound and compression adjustments to make the ride comfort back to or atleast close to stock.

A car like yours, I would personally not put a dime into “stepping stone” parts on the car, and just save up for a good air setup. and enjoy it everytime you get in the car.

I have driven the lexus for 5 years now with s spring shock combo. No need for coilovers when you know you are going to set them at one height and then never change that again. Ride height can be adjusted a lot more ways than with a spring.

i know a number of dudes who swear buy nothing but a set of bilstiens or koni yellows and a decent swift spring combo which can be had for about half the price of a decent refurbishable coilover and can be refurbished themselves

This. If you’re not using all the features a coilover gets you, you can save a bunch of money, get decent springs on struts/shocks, and put the change into something that you’ll actually use.

Regardless,

I think air is way out of my budget.

I’m going air this summer. Just for you guys:lol I’ll be doing a bag and spring combo though. All I want is lift

Koni yellows and proper spec swift/eibach/whatever springs is always an awesome choice. On my buddys civic I used koni yellows, coilover sleeves, custom eibach springs, and gc extended top hats. Ended up being cheaper than coils, better in every category, and easier and cheaper to rebuild. win win

good! my lift will thank you! LOL

Bumping this.

Got the springs and going to replace the struts with OEM replacement KYB’s. No one really makes replacements for these cars other than them.

Question I have is…at 86kmi…what else should I change in the strut tower/assembly while I’m having this done or doing it myself (haven’t decided yet)? Upper mounts? Dust Boots? Or do the new struts come with all that?

From my exPeriance do everything attached to the strut. Mounts ,ball joints , bushings etc.