HELP!?

hey guys…my cars going from alright, to bad…and now i think the turbo is going… :cry: is there any way i can check this without tearing the engine apart???my step brother is a mechanic who said that all that black shit up my bumper is form burning oil, and that since its a turbo car, its probably the turbo starting to die…please help! i cant be stuck with a dead car…

It’s not the turbo Corey, it’s from the same source as those “backfires” :wink: It’s just residue from running rich between shifts. That turbo is in good shape. If you want to be sure, come over and we can take off the piping and check inside. If the turbo is blowing oil, it will be all over the inside of the piping.

If your turbo is going, the smoke you see won’t be black.

Give me a call about the gas tank

yea pauls right…

its jsut rich on shift…

ur fine

GT

Is your BOV recirced? If it isn’t, you are going to go rich between shifts and after letting off… not to mention the tendancy of walboros to richen things up. Black bumper = too much fuel, blown turbo = blue smoke while boosting. How much oil are you going through in a week?

My stock KA had a black bumper from having a weak cat (but still good enough to pass an E-test), it was annoying, but didn’t harm anything…

the weird thing was…the other day, and it would only do it on and off…but lasted for a while…was that it seemed like boost wasnt getting to the intake manifold…like, it would spool, and it would blow off…but there was no “Umph” like, you could feel the car just running on engine, and being rather slugish…i know that doesnt have anything to do with burning oil…and then my coolent keeps dropping below the fins, so i filled it back up one night, then the next day it was low, then later on it was back up…the only thing i can think of is when i did the gasket that some of the lines got put back on wrong, weird or whatever…but i checked it and it doesnt seem to be leaking or anything…strange…on the bright side, i got the power steering working!

Good stuff, where did you get the lines from?

Also, that sounds like a boost leak more than anything else. Did you double check the piping?

And about the coolant, the level will go up and down depending on if the motor is warm or not, don’t worry about it!

i actually used all the stock lines! i cut the far like you told me, hooked it onto the resevoir, and voila! super easy…the only thing was that one of the fittings were loose on the rack and i got to waste a half bottle of fluid in the shop…but oh well, i also need a better lines from the resevoir to the pump cause its kinked and stuff now due to limited room…

I think I have one sitting around that might fit, let me look and I’ll let you know.