Hi there! First car '97 240sx. Hope to learn more about it.

Hi guys,

I’m in Mississauga and am looking forward to driving this 240 I just bought.
It has a few problems and some rust areas but I think it should be ok for
a few more years with a little love and cash.

I know there are a few other kouki owners in the area I’d love to hear
about your experiences with this car.

cheers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23997[/ATTACH]

sure hope it’ll be okay for a little more than a few years :wink:

I sure hope so too, but I’ve heard so many horror stories with rust that I’m not very optimistic (hell I’m already worried if it’ll pass safety/emissions). The exterior is mostly clean of rust except for the passenger side rear rocker/wheel well (a chunk is rusted through).

I’ve been beating myself up about not waiting for a cleaner car but I figured I’d take the risk and at least learn a valuable lesson while feeding my obsession a little… lol.

you’re definitely over thinking it lol
these horror stories you talk about are because of $300 pignose partouts that have 1/8th of a quarter of a frame rail left, you have nothing to worry about

if its auto and around 240k damn you !!!
lets just say I had interest

regardless clean car and welcome to the club as mentioned your better off then more then 50% of the club with regards to rust

Very nice. But decide now, to spend the money, or enjoy it.

But from that picture I’d say spend the money to fix.

Get ahead of it now and you’ll thank yourself later. That car looks like its in great shape.

Thanks for the advice. Overall the problems seem easy-ish to fix (CEL for knock sensor and evaporative emissions control, hood latch only opens from underneath the grille, manual door locks are stuck).

This is the major rust area I was worried about:

The side members underneath look ok as far as I can see (can’t lift it right now).
But yeah, I really want to fix some of the little things to get it in better shape.

EDIT: Yeah, just came back from the shop and before the guy even finished the inspection he told me right away that this wouldn’t pass and to take it to a body shop prepared to spend thousands of dollars. Kind of a bummer :frowning: