Require assistance.

Well, not reight away, once it warms up and all.

Here’s the dealie.

My 240 is in windsor. I live in toronto. thus I ain’t movin’ it till it gets warmer. you play no part in this.

There are quite a fue chemical errosion (rust) problems with my baby.
Here’s a quck list

• hole in trunk due to sponge like spoiler rusting through hatch relaced hatch) but still have hole on drivers side corner.
  • holes in floor, there are a few, but only one is bad. passenger side has some small holes where the foot rest is. So does the drivers side, but the hole isn’t small. it has in fact, gone through the small section of frame that would be directly underneath, as well as the exhaust. this is another issue that I’ll address later
  • both drivers and passengers a pillar have rusted in the well known spot. about mid way up.
  • there are other little rust holes here and there, but aside from the few localized spots the car is pretty good shape.

Other problems.

• driver side front shock tower has split from the frame. this is bad. it cracked a bit too this was not caused by rust at all.

• From the rust on the drivers side under the pedals has arose another more unpleasent problem. because the frame at that point (and only that pint I looked) was weakened by the rust some the previouse owners increadibly salty shoes. it could not stand the weight of the car being put up on a jack at that exact specific point… which the moron previous owner did. thus the floor on the drivers side has been pushed up about 2½ to 3 inches.

Solution to all these problems.

for the floor and frame, cut out frame section and floor, hammer floor into correct possition, installe new secion of frame, and floor. Sames goes for the other rusty spots.

As for the shock tower, I would assume that it could be easily repaired by re welding the seam, as well as welding something to reinforce it. I would reinforce both sides to hopefully make them equally strong.

the A pillars… uhm I dunno cut away the rusty bits and weld something back in ? I’m not sure how to go about doing this.

Here’s the big issue. I’ve got loads of sheet metal (prolly not same guage as the frame but we’ll see), welding wire, but no welder, no gas, and no experience welding (yet)

I really don’t want to pay for much more than perhaps tank rental and gas. as well maybe a small amount to compensate the borrowing of a welder for a while.

I’ve got food, as well as a nice place to chill out. and lots of video games (ps2 x-box GC, arcade shinobi, street fighter alpha/alpha2/2champion ed. as well as a pinball machine) so there’s no lack of entertainment. just a total and almost complete lack of funds…

So, shortly after I bring my 240 back form my old house in windsor. I’m going to need help, alot of it.

the vehicle has been stripped, except for some of the underdash pieces (heater etc), windshield, rear side windows, and the engine. which ran last time I moved the car, but prolly doesn’t now. I’ve scrapped all the sound deadening material from the floor, so welding wont induce a great deal of uncontrolable fire.

so, uhm… help… please ? :cry:

don’t tell me to get another 240. I like this one, and for the price I paid for it I can’t really beat it. I know it’s a lot of work, but it’s just labour (labour = love) and I’ve got a lot of free time.

here’s a photo of the a pillar, both side are similar in damage.

http://www.son240sx.ca/cpgallery/albums/userpics/11221/Picture-114.jpg
better and more photos later
thanks

james[/list]

OUCH thats a nast A pillar lower section. To be honest I asume you can fix it but with the rust that bad there I can only imagine how it looks in other places. While the board is full of helpfull and nice the amount of work you need will not be somthing I can see guys doing for free.

That’s not worth trying to fix. Just cut out the whole section and replace it with a non rusted one. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly, to bend the metal for that and try to get the clearances right for the hinges and doors would take forever. Find a parts car with good a pillers and take out the cutters.

well that is a poor photo, and a great deal of that is minor surface rust. the part around the actual hinge point is fine, I’ve cleaned it all up its just the area around the hole that’s bad.

dude that one picture of major rust eating thorugh a MAIN supprt area should be enough to tell you to dump the car… no repair int he world, other then a 1/2 cut total swap would repair that car… turst me on this, I do enough welding and bonding to know when it’s dead… that is dead… love the car all you want… but it’s never going to be ’ fixed’ … it’s the equivelent of riding your sport bike with your down bottom tube or seat tube rusted through or 100% cracked.

Don’t know how much simpler to make since you haven’t come to this rather elementary conclusion yourself.

keep the parts, get a frame.

ok, I’ll give it up if I can get a good deal on a frame then. lemme know if you come across one.

you know with simple chassis stiffening mods done to the car, you wont feel a difference unless your in a BAD bad bad accident, if you can fix it and make it any better than it was factory, your going to be golden.

ive seen cars cut in half in thirds roofs, whatever

they make for great daily driven cars

unless your not making a high performance car that relies on structure as a major asset. you should be fine if fixed properly