High mileage engine oils

What do you guys think of high mileage engine oil? (Sorry if this question has been asked before, the search function wasn’t much use to me)

They’re about $22 per 4.4L jug at CT for Castrol, Valvoline, and Quaker State, compared to $16~$17 for a normal jug of engine oil (Canadian Tire prices). It’s supposed to prevent oil burning because the oil is different. Can anyone testify on this? If it works then I don’t mind paying the extra $20~$30 a year, but if it doesn’t then I won’t bother.

that stuff is all bs, if u use a quality oil/filter and change it at regular intervals u shouldnt have a problem with burning oil, i usually use mobil1/redline 10w30 and fram tough guard filter ask lith how my engine looks like inside

Sorry but Im gonna have to say its not BS. I use this stuff religously on all my high mileage cars and have seen a reduction in oil consumption.

My 250whp turbo Talon that had nearly 300K on the bottom end would eat oil quite religiously. Started using Quaker State high mileage and oil consumption dropped significantly. Same goes for my accord, my dads intrepid.

This isnt going to fix an oil consumption problem but it will definitely improve it.

Well I used 10W30 Mobil 1 with a Nissan filter and my KA doesn’t burn a drop of oil at 215k.

Honestly bulk oil and regular filters have been tested and produce almost the exact performance. A lot of oils out there are crap and heavily overrated. Its always good to experiment.

It does make a difference, do you really believe that of the 50+ brands of oils there are 4 formula’s???

The higher milage stuff will have more detergents and other stuff, there by making the price higher…

However, I always loved mobil1,

that could be possible, but how does oil burning usually begin, sludge build up usually caused be cheap oil, uneven oil change intervals, lack of maintaining, but when it comes to DSM’s,Honda,Mazda its just normal, sh*ty piston rings

a friend of mine had a 92 hatch with 33*,***kms on it original engine never rebuilt never burnt a single drop of oil, and all he did was maintain it, regular oil change intervals and normal 10w30 oil and none of that high milage,peak performance BS. he’d give that car hell all so

these “high-mileage” oils achieve it two ways in general, they add modifiers that make oil stickier without being thicker (or they start with thinner oil and reclass it accordingly) and the other is introducing solvents that help clean rings and swell rubber seals

however it’s not something you should need all the time, there are plenty of products that can do what they accomplish with only a couple of treatments, and you could then return to a regular oil regimen

Wal Mart sells the Valvoline high milage oil for about 18 bucks.

CT/ Partsource just had a special on Castrol high milage oil, 10 bucks for 4.4 liters. Bought 3 jugs!

Just keep on eye out on the flyers.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/Borrowed/mult_synthetic_faq.htm

my 95 ka has 249xxxkm’s on it, oil has never eaten a drop of oil. I use Mobil 1 5-30W and a Fram oil filter. I don’t even have any chain noise happening. I just go by what’s been tested and yields good results, then by personal experience. I won’t use any other canadian tire shit in my car.