HIGH OIL PRESSURE??

what kind of oil pressure numbers are normal for WOT reving to 9. im running 20w50 royal purple and i have seen 160psi of oil. i talked to another honda guy and he says he use to see 180. i was scared that my oil pressure was WAY to high. i kept hearing people talk about 90-100.

any thoughts?

Oil pressure that high can damage a seal in the crankcase which can then lead to leakage and then engine failure.

the question is why is my oil pressure getting that high.

160!? Thats enough to blow the welds on the intake!

wow 160
The motor makes more oil pressure then torque, is that even possible?

what kind style oil pump do you have, I can see that damaging a drive with that restriction.

Isn’t that on the thick side?

Yeah, that’s on the high side. I only see 80psi max. Do the honda’s have a type of oil pressure relief valve?

Ok.

160 is high.

20w50 means the difference between a spun bearing and not a spun bearing in an engine when a low oil pressure event does occour.

You can do one of 2 things.

1. Run thinner oil. won’t help too much.

2. Port the outlet to the oil discharge on the pressure releif on the oil pump itself. This has been shown too help reduce oil pressure in DSMs which suffer from the same issues we talked about earlier.

20w50 on tight clearances found in import engines combined with high rpm will lead to higher than normal oil pressure the only thing I would be concerned with is seals internal to the engine that see main oil pressure.

You will not blow a seal in the crankcase the only thing that will blow a seal in the crankcase would be excessive crankcase pressure due to excessive blowby and lack of crankcase evacuation.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Whats the oil pressure at cold idle,warm idle, and cruising?

I am by NO means a Honda guy so don’t mock me for this next question but - If your oil pressure was really off that bad, wouldn’t that effect your vtec behavior? If so are you actually seeing any difference there?
Id also imagine the oil seals on the turbo would be shot already (unless ur using 1 hell of a restrictor).

Maybe its the guage itself???

[quote=“Carnut,post:8,topic:28373"”]

1. Port the outlet to the oil discharge on the pressure releif on the oil pump itself. This has been shown too help reduce oil pressure in DSMs which suffer from the same issues we talked about earlier.

[/quote]

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d_series_engine_building_tips/

this carries over to the b series

what did you change from last year?

Do you have a restrictor on the oil feed line to your turbo?

I’d be worried about the turbo, if not.

Its gonna blow up again

too much turtle pop lock and droppin it, that could be the reason lol

yo kev did you ever fuck with the guage maybe for some odd reason your guage is off, what are you at when ideling? cuz im around 20psi
and when i really get on it i dont ever go over 90psi

idle pressure should be between 10 and 20

take the main and rod bearings out and sand them down so the ID is a little bigger and resinstall them - that will lower your oil pressure…err I mean do what carnut said. 160 is a little excessive and you are wasting hp running the oil pump against that much head.

Oh, btw the manual for my Willys pickup says you need at least 4 psi at idle and 18 psi at 35 mph (~2000 rpm)…lol

my idle is good, and my driving around is good. it sits at about 21 to 25 at idle. i been hearing my oil filter raises the oil pressure. i think im going to change filters and keep the 20w50 and mess with the gauge

lol at studdern

when you had ur block/head apart, did u chamfer,deburr your oil passages?

your flow could be low thus creating high(er than normal) pressure

^^^chafers remove restricions

removing restrictions lowers the pressure