Hit and run, have their plate, how do I find them to file a claim?

Was sitting on my porch and watched a chick back out of her driveway across the street, hit my wagon, look around, and drive away like nothing happened. I filed a report with the police right after; luckily, I was able to grab the make, model, and plate number. The police provided me with a copy of the report, which gives the owner’s name (a male), address, and details of the accident.

BPD’s Accident Investigation is “working on it”. I have no intention of going to this guy’s house for obvious reasons, but I would like to find out what insurance he has so I can file a claim and get the process going. Any tips?

Give the info to your ins company.

I don’t want to involve my insurance company. I once was involved in an accident that was the other driver’s fault 100% and years later the company gave me issues because it had counted as an “incident”.

Welcome to NY State where you can be as careful as you can be and are responsible for the actions and consequences of other shitty drivers. You should contact the other guys insurance company. Does the police report list the policy holder of his car? Nail this asshole…or his girlfriend.

Progressive gave me the same crap as well over a prior no fault accident. That was one of the final straws for me as a customer of theirs.

Yeah, the report didn’t provide his insurance info, otherwise I would have already taken care of it. What I’d like to know is where I can find this information.

This happene to me once. The BPD did nothing, and I had to pull a door from a junkyard

I seriously wish you the best of luck, you’re going to need it

If I’m not mistaken, you might be able to contact your agent (who should be in your corner and not file a claim) and they can look up the info on the other vehicle. I’m almost positive they can do this. Not sure. Couldn’t hurt. Also not sure (police chime in here) but if you file a vehicle accident report, I think that information is supposed to be on there.

The insurance information is definitely not on the report. I guess I’ll be contacting my company, not that I want to let them know my car was hit in the first place…

It’s probably a violation of privacy, but there’s no way I can look up this guy’s insurance info based on his name, address, and plate?

Nys is a no fault state, So I can understand the iccdent report, this tho hot and run is not cool!

You wont be able to get a hold of his ins company without yours finding out. ESPECIALLY since nys is a no fault state his company will try their damdest to get yours to pay for your damages. But if it’s an actual hit and run then you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

Maybe file a foil request with the dmv? They give out registered addresses with a plate #

I’m almost positive you can’t get information about a registered owner via plate number. This would be a stalkers dream…

but, what you can do, is, hire a private investigator, a lot of them have buddies at the police dept… they match your scratch/dent with the suspects car, contact them, tell them either replace it, or we go to court.

havent you ever seen gone in 60 seconds? lol

Norb,

i was in a hit and run in the spec v on the 33 in cheektowaga though. and called and filed a a hit and run. they ran the plate and caught the guy at the border at the peace bridge because he was on his way to canada. and that was a rental car the guy just picked up across from the airport.

so i dont know how BPD handles it but that was my experience. turn around time from the call to when he was caught was less than an hour, but i think the border helped me out on that one

That sounds much more expensive then just paying to have your car fixed.

The police provided me with a copy of the report, which gives the owner’s name (a male), address, and details of the accident.

what town does he live in. maybe you can provide a copy of the report to his town (assuming its not buffalo) and they will gather the insurance information for you?

Hit and runs usually don’t count as accidents/collision. I’m pretty sure it’s a comprehensive claim.

In my expierience bpd doesn’t care unless you’re caught doing heaters or murdered somebody.

If it was a hit n’ run, and you filed a police report, what are you worried about? They committed a crime, right?

Although, you can kill a girl with a bmw these days and get away with it.

why do you think everyone blurs their plate? posterity?