Home in Wilson NY explodes

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/24/12925930-ny-home-explodes-killing-girl-injuring-4-others

Heard it on the news this morning, surprised no one posted about it, very sad. I wonder what caused it.Discuss!

probably a natural gas line failure of some sorts…

No natural gas out there, propane tank then line into the house, I was thinking a faulty tank, like the explosion in buffalo in the 80s.

For the whole house to go up like that, it had to have been a contained build up. My guess is propane leak in the basement all night and since its heavier than air, that basement was probably pretty full of it. 6am sound about the time people wake up so someone probably took a shower and water tank heater was gas powered. Spark -> BOOM

Never thought of that, they said the parents and 2 of the children were on the front lawn when help arrived. So horrible that they found the other child dead…

Pretty sure this will come back to a propane leak. Hoping for the family’s sake it won’t be a case of someone working on a gas line the night before and making a mistake. Not sure how I’d live with that.

Before:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4972+Chestnut+Rd,+Newfane,+NY&hl=en&ll=43.23906,-78.761265&spn=0.010661,0.0156&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.167389,63.896484&oq=4&t=h&hnear=4972+Chestnut+Rd,+Newfane,+New+York+14108&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.240897,-78.762288&panoid=Cl2W6lD2XfB9r_dGkWe0cg&cbp=12,185.82,,1,4.46

After:
http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article962995.ece/BINARY/w620/New+York+House+Explosion_006.jpg

You can see the yellow wagon wheel in both pictures.

Wow, that comparison is amazing.

so much for the awesome garage that was in the middle of construction.

See. If he’d have used construction adhesive at the corners it would’ve been OK.

Leveled house picture with caption " I came"

Do it. You won’t.

I guess the bank is starting a fund raiser. For who I am not sure. lol

Am I the only one who was expecting video of the explosion?

So I’m not the only one disappointed?

Damn you guys are brutal. I did hear about the fund raiser but, wouldn’t insurance cover that? Or is explosions not part of a policy? Fire is but there was no fire…

the waitress at the diner my neighbor goes to everyday was related to the people that owned this house. i guess it was her cousin, and the daughter died and her father had just passed away a week or so ago. something like that. i cant exactly remember. but yeah, they say propane leak. given it was at 6am it was probably leaking all night and it filled the basement. my guess is the water heater kicking on from a shower maybe caused it?

good reason to replace your co2 detector with one that will detect propane as well.

I was listing to the edge this morning and the guy they had on that called In his gf was the best friend of the one sister, and that he found pieces of debris blocks away

Holy shit thats crazy

Insane… sad.

Explosions of any sort are covered on homeowners insurance as long as they aren’t war/nuclear related