Honda people - f20b?

Ok so I’ve been doing a bunch of research for what engine set up I want to go with in my em1 project. I figured initially to go with a b18b because theyre so cheap, parts are easily accessible, I’m familiar with them , they like boost with head studs and rod bolts ect.

Then I started looking into h22a using the h2b adapter plate. 200 hp na is awesome, I have b series solid mounts, a clutch and some serious axles that came with the car, which I would be able to use with the h2b kit. No cutting the floor, no poor axle angle, no f’ing with cable linkage, ect ect

Then I saw the jdm f20b and started doing research on it. Iron block, not frm lined like an h22a. 200hp. Obd2. And the best part, the price- Toronto jdm has them listed at $650 for a complete engine. I could go catch the phantom with the mrs, spend the night, and come home with a motor!

This seems too good to be true. *Why are they so cheap? Will it never pass us obd2 emmisons? Are they prone to problems? I’ve heard of oil delivery issues, but that’s about it.

It seems like a 200 hp 2.0 dohc boost-able (probably a head spacer to lower compression a bit) would be worth it’s weight in gold to Honda people. What gives?

If I am remembering correctly from when member “Slomies” here was doing research on his accord build…that there was also an f22b using in japan that was basically a DOHC vtec accord motor…which is essentially an H22 but some minor differences I guess…for the longest time he was also researching the H series heads on F series blocks too… might be worth shooting him a PM asking him if he knows anything about the f20b.

Wasn’t an F20B a sohc motor?

Yeah, the f20b is a jdm only accord sir motor, from I think 97-01?

I know the iacv is different, along with some othe small things. But it just seems to good to be true. Run it in a civic with a pretty much stock h22 map on a chipped p28. Siqqq

f22b was single cam…

There was also a sohc f20b, but that’s not the one I’m talking about

Wiki-

Toronto jdm link-

http://torontojdm.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=3618&category_id=101

"F20BThe F20B engine produces 113 kW (200 hp) at 6500 rpm and maximum torque of 186 Nm (137 lb•ft) at 4000 rpm, versus the single-camshaft F20B’s 110 kW (148 hp) and 186 Nm (137 lb•ft), respectively. The vehicle’s Japanese urban 10/15-mode fuel consumption rating is 12.0 km/L (about 30 mpg)—a 15% improvement over a comparable vehicle powered by the F20B, according to Honda.

[edit] SpecificationsDisplacement: 1997 cc
Configuration Valve: SOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
148 HP @ 7000 rpm
137 TQ @ 7000 rpm
11.1:1 CR
85mm bore
88mm stroke"

Honda F engine - Wikipedia

Probably some USDM vs JDM Bull shit like always. Too many letters and numbers with these damn motors.

yeah, USDM version was sohc, JDM version was dohc

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I wonder what motor/head the f20b DOHC is based on…if it’s B-series I wonder what the cam profiles are (B16 head might create series gains)…I suppose same thing could be said for H-series motors…wonder what the head flow-rates are like and cam profiles in comparison to the possibly similar H and B series…

I thought I recalled correctly so suck it Johnny Bravo.

From what I’ve read it’s based on the h series and was kind of a test mule for the f series found in the s2000

Idk man. It’s such an odd engine. I’ve never even heard of it until now!!

So what makes you think you will be able to find cheap parts for it on demand? lol.

Exactly. Thats another thing that scares me.

That’s probably why nobody runs it…if you blow it up what do you do? if it’s H series based I’d look into whether or not it has the auto-tensioner that is known to fail frequently on the H series and find out if any parts are interchangeable… is the difference in displacement from the H2223 due to bore or due to stroke? (or both)

I know a few people have been using B20s for things as well.
The longer my rabbit doesn’t run the sooner it gets a honda engine

Jam, after seeing many dyno’s, H22 all motor is a great option paired up with an H2B tranny setup. Dirt cheap considering what they are…big displacement…fun, useable power.

if you are a straight NA man i would look at a H2B setup. The biggest problem i came across with H22s are the sleeves. If you want to run a higher comp. piston you need to either sleeve the block or there is one brand of piston that will work with the cylinder walls. You also need to take out the balancer shaft which is a 50-60 dollar mod. from QSD. But besides that i have been in a H2B eg hatch and for a NA car w/ a B16 trans it pulled very hard.

200 hp na is awesome?

K24…

06-08 k24a2 hands down

Brent

That’s what I was thinking. My 240 HP Exige only weighed 2000 lbs and was only marginally fun. 200 HP and 2800 lbs sound boooooring.