How does one measure wealth

[quote=“JayS,post:59,topic:32801"”]

As is being able to locate the caps lock.

[/quote]

USE AUTOCAD, ITS EASIER NOT TO HIT IT THEN KEEP SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH

[quote=“66impalass,post:61,topic:32801"”]

USE AUTOCAD, ITS EASIER NOT TO HIT IT THEN KEEP SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH

[/quote]

I hope that you are not so lazy in corporate communications also.

NOPE… ITS A FORUM, AND ITS REALLY NOT WORTH THE AMOUNT OF WORK THAT I COULD MESS UP IF I FORGET TO TURN CAPS BACK ON, ALSO I HAVE MY E-MAIL SET TO WARN ME IF ITS ON…

I’m 25. I can’t afford a nice car. I pay a mortgage that doesn’t leave me with a lot left over. I borrowed whatever I needed to finish my engineering degree in 4 years, so I’m paying off student loans. I took a low paying job right out of engineering school. That job gave me the experience that qualified me for an entry level position at a growing company with tons of opportunities. That company is paying for the MBA that I’m starting in a couple of weeks. Thanks to going off to school and trying to make it on my own I matured enough to gain a bit of wisdom and understand that you need to work hard and make smart decisions when you’re young if you want to have a prayer of living the good life.

Think about where I’m going to be in 5-10 years.

Now think about where I would be headed if I had stayed at home through my early 20’s, not given college a priority, and bought nice cars. I’d be 25, with cars not worth much thanks to depreciation, probably renting since I won’t have much of an income and a mortgage on a shithole would be my only other option, and without a lot of potential to get wealthy. In 5-10 years I’d be in the same place, struggling to make ends meet.

I’m not wealthy, but I have huge potential for wealth thanks to smart decisions I’m making while I am young. Just thought I’d throw that out there for those who think that staying home and buying expensive toys when you’re young is a good idea.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:64,topic:32801"”]

I’m 25. I can’t afford a nice car. I pay a mortgage that doesn’t leave me with a lot left over. I borrowed whatever I needed to finish my engineering degree in 4 years, so I’m paying off student loans. I took a low paying job right out of engineering school. That job gave me the experience that qualified me for an entry level position at a growing company with tons of opportunities. That company is paying for the MBA that I’m starting in a couple of weeks. Thanks to going off to school and trying to make it on my own I matured enough to gain a bit of wisdom and understand that you need to work hard and make smart decisions when you’re young if you want to have a prayer of living the good life.

Think about where I’m going to be in 5-10 years.

Now think about where I would be headed if I had stayed at home through my early 20’s, not given college a priority, and bought nice cars. I’d be 25, with cars not worth much thanks to depreciation, probably renting since I won’t have much of an income and a mortgage on a shithole would be my only other option, and without a lot of potential to get wealthy. In 5-10 years I’d be in the same place, struggling to make ends meet.

I’m not wealthy, but I have huge potential for wealth thanks to smart decisions I’m making while I am young. Just thought I’d throw that out there for those who think that staying home and buying expensive toys when you’re young is a good idea.

[/quote]

I was in the same boat, except I am greatful that my grandfather had invested for my college education so I do not have student loans that amount to much. Out of college I took a job that was ok with a really large firm in the field I wanted to go into, I was not doing the greatest work but it got me introduced to the right people. I currently have a great job as a senior mechanical designer and I am only 23. I don’t own a house, cause honestly right now I am not 100% where I want to stay for any frame of time, I do have the opportunity to purchase a nice car in a bit. I know that if I did live at home and went to a local college I would be where a lot of my friends are that did that, either in jail or at some menial job make <$40k a year, none of them are happy, but they where happy that they could afford nice things through college because they lived at home.

I take my FE exam in Oct. and the PE in two years, I am also currently going back to school in January for my masters in ME, at that time I am also taking my LEED exam. From this I have the room for a lot of growth within the company I currently work for, or even at a later date starting my own company.

That is really why I rag at people that are not in college and live at home past the age of 20.

At the same time, there is still time to realize your mistakes and make changes in your life to better yourself.

I myself spent money buying toys before. One of them as recently as last summer, which although I love it, I ultimately regret it…

I have decided to sell the cars and buy a reliable, practical car (see 1996 Subaru Outback). I will be moving to Rutland next summer, and be attending college for a Resort Management program to get a bachelors degree in 3 years. I will be working at Killington Ski Area throughout the program through the paid co-op and internships that the program revolves around. I will be working in a field I m passionate about, moreso than cars, and I will be afforded the opportunity to create many connections and meet many people that will help me secure a job upon completition of the program.

I’ll be 23 years old when I go back to school next fall. And although I made some crappy choices, I don’t think I’d be getting the opportunity to do this had I went through with school all along since my first year out of high school. I wouldn’t have learned about the program, and I likely would’ve ended up graduating with an aimless degree with no idea which direction I wanted to head with my life.

[quote=“66impalass,post:65,topic:32801"”]

… either in jail or at some menial job make <$40k a year, none of them are happy, but they where happy that they could afford nice things through college because they lived at home.

[/quote]

not all of this kids fail. Some take the initiative and make something of themselves.

But otherwise, :word:

[quote=“Zong,post:7,topic:32801"”]

I envy newman’s unhealthy obsession with girl shoes.

there is definitely sarcasm here

[/quote]

For me my role model is Zing Zong, hes Chinese and doesn’t speak an ounce of it. He also has index card looking puzzles, when completed they show you a picture of an animal, the correct spelling in English and Chinese. They are about 20 years old untouched, that must explain the language barrier

I plan, I budget and I save up in the correct ways. I haven’t lived with my parents in 6 years, I have an average paying job, and I live an average life.

But my car/autocrossing is THE most enjoyable hobby in my life, and as such I make sacrifices to be able to afford it. I’m not talking sacrifices like I don’t save any money or just put everything on credit cards, that’s far from the truth. I budget properly so that I can afford my hobby, and I avoid things like shopping sprees, or expensive gadgets like a Wii or iPhone. I just simply don’t need them.

Owning a Boxster and putting all kinds of money in, but not mooching off mom and dad = cool.

Owning a Boxster (or any expensive car) and putting all kinds of money in it, while mommy and daddy put a roof over your head, buy you food, and wipe your ass = loser.

damnit, why does nyspeed make me want to change major to a job that I can actually make money in?

[quote=“Penfold,post:71,topic:32801"”]

damnit, why does nyspeed make me want to change major to a job that I can actually make money in?

[/quote]

Stick with a major that will get you a job you enjoy.

No salary will make you happy if you’re miserable 8 hours a day, 40+ hours a week, 50 weeks a year.

[quote=“JayS,post:70,topic:32801"”]

Owning a Boxster and putting all kinds of money in, but not mooching off mom and dad = cool.

Owning a Boxster (or any expensive car) and putting all kinds of money in it, while mommy and daddy put a roof over your head, buy you food, and wipe your ass = loser.

[/quote]

will you adopt me?

[quote=“JayS,post:72,topic:32801"”]

No salary will make you happy if you’re miserable 8 hours a day, 40+ hours a week, 50 weeks a year.

[/quote]

Truth.

What is this thread about again? My head is hurting.

Dammit.I thought i was going to make some decent money at $30 an hr plus another 8 a hr into a health fund.Thats after school in 5 years though.
I feel poor now after some math

herodotus says

“the secret of success is not the absence of failure, but the absence of envy”

[quote=“87conquestTSi,post:75,topic:32801"”]

Dammit.I thought i was going to make some decent money at $30 an hr plus another 8 a hr into a health fund.Thats after school in 5 years though.
I feel poor now after some math

[/quote]

60k in 5 yrs will not be what it is now.

60k now is :tif:, even in WNY

[quote=“JayS,post:72,topic:32801"”]

[/quote]

I agree completely there. I’d rather make $40k a year and be living in a place I love to live, and love my job, than make $100k and loathe 80% of my life day-in and day out.

I was thinking about all this last night, and it dawned on me that I sometimes make an initial judgment about what someone is like based on what they drive, and yet absolutely hate it when people do the same to me :frowning: Self realization can be a bitch sometimes.

:lol: What judgement could anyone possibly come up with seeing a blonde driving a baby-blue convertable Porsche with pink wheels?