How large of a cam...

just wondering thats all

okay

you had to have a back car…tisk tisk tisk

so if all you can afford at this point is a cam, then you need to just wait and don’t rush a cam choice depending on money!

typically you can get a cam, retainers,springs, and push rods for 700-800 depending on the company your going with. Then you have mail order tune 150-250 typically, and if you have to pay someone to install it, forget about the cam being cheap!!

sounds like your not ready for a cam right now…just wait and be patient

any thoughts on either of these cams??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-LS1-LS6-Patriot-Camshaft-your-choice-of-cam-size_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33614QQitemZ8058422637QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

if you go to their website, you can get your choice of one of those two cams, .650 springs, locks, and retainers for 540 … cam only is the price in the auction… apparently they arent’ a huge name, but any problems with either of those two cams specs, brand name? general thoughts?

greddy… the thing really needs to get done… i’ll be able to come up with the money… i just hate spending money, so i alwasy try to find the cheapest, yet best way to go… always looking for ways to cut cost.

what type of lobes are they? are they XS, XER, XR or etc that also depends on how the cam makes power and etc

here, i’ll give you the website to see if that gives you more info

http://www.redlineperformanceengineering.com/patriotcam.htm

not much on LS1 tech, but the one thread i did find, no one really had any complaints

cant notice much when u r driving around…just from about 3000rpm up itll pull noticably harder. like i said, i had a good platform to convert my whole motor to LS6 and that what i wanted to do, but for the most part youll get more for your money / time by going w/ something more agressive.

how do i find out??
and, any other thoughts on this cam? Sam? i sent you a PM to see if you have a tune for something like it

Thats not a bad cam but if ur going to get something with that type of LSA u might as well go with the Trex or magic stick.

read bout it or contact them. the cam 00blackSS and I have are based on XER lobes from comp. they are very aggressive lobes. my old GT2-5 was based on i believe a tamer set of lobes.

just get teh cam that silver ran. it was a 224 i think from TR and then get a set of 918s which we have in stock along with a ported oil pump, new crank bolt and youre set. you dont need anything else. everything else is reusable

ok, so make fun of me some more, but a t-rex or magic stick is $100 more and more importantly, has soo much friggin lift that i’d have to get all kinds of other shit too - right?

quik… where the frig am i gonna get a ported oil pump? and why do i need it? and maybe i will get the cam silver had - i understand, you’re only tryin to help out - but maybe i’ll go another direction … hell, i dont even know if its the rings yet… will find out tomorrow…

i think i would kinda like the 110LSA… am i correct in assuming that the lower the LSA, you often get more power?? but i like the sound of a nice lopey cam… and how they wanna bobble ya around in the car a little… i dunno, i know its not for everyone, but i kinda like it…

oh, and no matter how much i reasearch, i seem to come across the same fuckin worthless articles about cams… so what is the deal with some cams haveing a longer exhaust duration and others (like this one) having a longer intake duration?

sammy not making fun of u,that 110 lsa is tight,u may have to fly cut ur pistons!just becareful & pic what u like!but silver’s cam my be a good choice,his car was auto,it in a stick may be better!

you can get ported oil pump at JJs, have afew in stock. as for the cam specs and what not youre not going ot figure out everything about acam in a few days. this is why wer are telling you about proven cams. pick the cam you wish but the 224 is a great cam for what you wish. it will put up about 390rwhp/380rwtq with bolt ons

alright… i emailed Redline performance engineering, who makes that patriot cam, and this is what they sent back

Hello, The 232 cam is a great cam that makes a lot of power in the upper
RPM range. it starts to kick in around 3k and pulls hard all the way up to
6500RPM. This cam has a 110 Lobe Seperation which will give it a choppy
idle that sounds pretty mean. Because of the lift and lobe seperation you
will need to have your computer tuned. It wouldn’t idle very well without a
tune. The only necessary upgrades are the valve springs kit for the heads.
The stock rods and internals can easily handle the power added by this
camshaft. Unfortunately we don’t have any multi-media clips of a car using
this cam. We typically have a 1 to 2 day turn around on getting items
shipped. If you order the cam and springs I will ship everything for free.
This cam is pretty mean, I have over 40 customers with this cam on their car
and they are really happy with the results.

yea, i understand…
well… i’m sorta twisted as to which way to go… i understand the fact that that is a proven cam, but i guess someone has to try something new… but i hate to be the guy to try something new, and it be shit…

so tell me, why do i need a ported oil pump? do you need that no matter what cam you get?

And Pewter, what do you mean by “fly cut” the pistons? and why woudl i have to do that?

*talking in general - the patriot cam SHOULD net more power?

so the vaules dont hit the top of the piston,check with them on that!

all this talk… i just got 300 on paypal for the rest of the bike… and 240 comin for sellin the sub out of my car. hmmmmmmm… need to be responsible and get a winter beater come fall.

pay bills:rant:

:kekegay::smiley:

you know what… im comin down there now. i need to get this off my concious.