how many of you guys have fairly modded daily drivers?(should I mod further)

If I put a stock GTP blower on my car right now with a kit that a vendor recently released the gains/cost would be huge, definitely 70-80whp for about $1200 with a 4" pulley & bigger injectors. the only thing that worries me with this is that my tranny could go at the next WOT romp. shit, trannies ain’t cheap either, usually about 3 grand for a rebuild right?

Any of you guys sweatin out your daily driver? I can’t decide if doing this would ruin driving the car for me.

check this out, no mods but the kit and the guy put down 90whp and 100ft/lbs of tq more than stock
https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/latest_news1.php?id=95&PHPSESSID=16d2aa7e05c086293d2abfb716fbf8e1

I know you guys love performance, should I do it? I’ve got the all supporting mods to work with this kit. (except the tranny)

i personally wouldnt do any f/i on a dd. just basic bolt on’s and be done… but since the blower is stock i would be more willing to do that.

good luck man

thanks man, I’m gonna need some luck :smiley:

edit - one of the reasons I’m considering this big step is that I’m pretty much out of bolt-ons. the cool thing is, is that all the shit I already have will work great with this SC kit

also can anyone tell me of some good salvage yards or pull it yourself places? How cheap I can get these cores might be the difference.

i’m going to put almost all the bolt on’s possible on my car, im halfway there…
i’ll still DD it, If i bought a top and bottom end build kit for $2,000 i’d still DD it and run appox low 13’s on Drag radials.

only way i’ll park it and buy another car is if i decide to turbo it with the top and bottom end build kits and all the bolt on’s… low 12’s high 11’s :yum:
with spray= 10’s?
judgeing from all the other builds ive seen on neons is where im getting the numbers on the run times

I’ve got a reprogramed pcm coming in the mail, after that I’m pretty much out of options except small stuff like underdrive pulleys and a catback. Each would only provide very small unnoticable gains so I’m not wasting my money.

It’s all or nothing now

im still a little shakey on the whole sc L36 thing. thought about doing heads and a cam? i’m really thinking about doing an xp cam early this summer (too lazy to switch back to 1.6s lately). i would like to run it once or twice on the current setup however.

really the only thing to worry about is knock right? I’m pretty confident that all my mods would support an M90 nicely.

I’ve thought about the heads and cam a lot lately, see it like I do

heads and cam N/A(plus gaskets) - ~$1600 uninstalled - I’d never be able to do this myself, look at atleast $500 for the install - total around 2 grand

~220whp and high 13s in the quarter. then guess what, I’m right back at the wall I’m at now, no where else to go just like before lol

atleast the options are wide open for the M90, an intercooler would provide excellent gains as would a cam. by then I’d be into 12’s and so sick of breaking shit on this car I’d sell it. :smiley:

you could just save up and buy a cheap 3rd gen f-body, that is what you always say you want and get jjs to put ls1 in it

decent sized cam’d car here, 4.30s w/ detroit locker, its my DD

decent sized cam’d car here, 4.30s w/ detroit locker, its my DD

4.30s and a detroit locker in your commuter car? That’s fucking badass dude. :smiley:

01GPGT, you should research your situation a bit more- other guys running around with setups like what you considering, are they having reliability problems?

You said the tranny is your biggest concern…for Ford RWD trannys, you can greatly increase their life expectancy when you start making decent power by adding a good aftermarket torque converter, a shift kit, and a transmission cooler…are these options for you? Should be able to do all this for well under $1000, and a higher stall converter and shift kit will give you a significant performance increase as well. And if it does go, a quality tranny rebuild shouldn’t run you more than $1500…$2000 max if you go with top shelf parts.

I’ve researched a ton on this topic. the thing is, no one that I’ve heard about is having tranny problems. The biggest weakness is the diff and then next is the input shaft. I would never go too long without getting the upgraded differential and halfshaft out of a GTP tranny.

The stock input shaft can handle 300whp, I’ll never get near those numbers without changing it, I shouldn’t have to worry about it this year. The diff is only stressed at hard launches, if I stay away from DRs or slicks really I should be okay with just a light upgrade.

Unless you have did it or have it…don’t be throw’n those times out there so freely. I know ther are some fast neons, but don’t make it sound so easy to go fast. Its more than a motor.

Well, it sounds like others aren’t having to many issues, so I say go for it. $1200 seems like a real fair price. I’d probably advise just getting a real GTP, but for $1200 fuck it.

lol yeah, I love my car too, with the condition it’s in I could never get rid of it no matter how slow it is.

My truck may not be very fast, but it is extensively modded for what it is. The 2.5 is very rarely modded by anyone since it is usually in beater trucks, but over the past few years I have done as much digging as I could and now I sit with about a 45% hp gain over stock. 96hp stock with this pathetic motor and now sits at 136. Pathetic, I know, but for this motor, which hates to be modded in any way, it isnt that bad. I think I have the 2nd highest one on s10forum.com in the 2.5 category. I think tyler has about 146 right now because he bored it out 30 over. Plus I have a lot of suspension work, so the ride isnt that comfy, but it handles fantastically. As far as a DD goes, stick with something fun, but dont go too far. A stock GTP supercharger isnt too bad for you, I think you could have a lot of fun with it. While you are getting the supercharger out of the gtp why dont you take the tranny too?

I got some mods on my dd. no probs really

I think I’m pretty good to go now, I wanna go through with this. I’ve now gotta find a junkyard M90 and lower intake manifold on a 98-03 preferably with less than 60K on the clock. Then I send that in to be modified to work with the fuel injector position and throttle body. The biggest expense is gonna be the fuel rails themselves, 400 bucks. Seems way to much IMO but there’s no way to modify the stockers. the actual kit itself consists basicly of gaskets and intructions.

I understand the point of modding a car, but you seem to already have a modded daily driver that is reliable and fun to drive, why go overboard and mess up what you have? For the extra cost and everything else, it would seem to be better to buy a toy and mess with that car. my $.02

I agree…I put a 3.4 pulley, colder plugs, fwi, and 180 t-stat all for under 100 american for my gtp. made it more fun to drive but I would not mod anymore for my DD. But to each his/her own

where were you to tell me that in january :doh: